Fashion Blog: Fall In Love With Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Clothes have always been a constant feature of my life. From when I was a little girl and thought I looked absolutely fabulous in an orange denim skirt I begged my mum to buy me, to the battered pairs of Converse I’ve danced many a night away in at uni; clothes have always been there.

So many people believe fashion is fickle, materialistic and a waste of time. I think fashion is art: a way to express yourself and have fun. No doubt a lot of you spent money on loved ones this Valentine’s Day; buying cards, chocolates and cute little teddy bears, but I will most likely be rinsing my very low bank account on a palm tree print playsuit from Topshop I have my eye on.

Think about all the funny memories of the dungarees and excessively frilly party dresses you wore when you were younger. If my past wardrobe was anything to go by, you’ll be laughing for hours thinking WHAT THE HELL DID MY PARENTS DRESS ME IN?! Take a look back at the pieces that shaped who you are.

My one true fashion love has to be super skinny black jeans. They can make me feel a million times more confident as soon as I pull a pair on. Whether I wear them with a plain tee in the day to run errands or with a silk cami and heels for a night out, they are my go to fashion saviours. Their versatility has saved me on numerous occasions.

A close second has to be the checked shirt. I love a green silk version from Zara that I can wear with jeans for a casual look and can’t wait to pair it with my black leather mini for a slightly sexier approach to this wardrobe staple. In the summer, you’re likely to find me walking along a beach in a bikini with a checked shirt tied round my waist or worn loosely over the top to stay cool. I guarantee there are about twenty photos from every holiday I have been on where I’m wearing a checked shirt.

One item of clothing I bought and have only worn once but brings back great memories is my prom dress. I have never felt more beautiful than when I wore that. Now every time I go shopping for a new dress, if I don’t get anywhere near close to that feeling I had when I wore my prom dress, I know the dress isn’t worth buying. I recently struck gold when my friends collectively bought me a blue and orange embroidered dress from Topshop (see picture) for my birthday. Now I’m constantly thinking of occasions I can wear it for.

A piece I could not live without is my cream cricket jumper from Gap. I bought it years ago, probably when I was about 15 and in two sizes too big and I cannot bear to throw it away. No matter how dirty or worn it gets (I do wash it, I promise!) I can’t see myself parting from it. It’s the jumper I wear when I’m ill and just want to curl up in bed watching Audrey Hepburn films, when I want a relaxed look for the weekend and when I’m just having one of those days where the sky seems greyer than it is and the rain doesn’t seem likely to stop.

My blue patterned back pack that my mum treated me to a few years back is another favourite. It’s been everywhere with me. From carrying baguettes around Paris on a city break with my best friend, to being stranded in Amsterdam with my housemates and running errands in London when working at a fashion magazine, to my daily trips to the library. It’s likely it will accompany me to New York in April as well! It may look like a simple back pack but it holds a lot of memories and to me that’s what fashion is about.

It’s about having fun, taking risks and not being scared to try something new – the same principles that apply to life in general. Love, boys and valentine’s days will come and go but clothes (and Topshop) are always there when you need a pick me up.

Helen Kelly

All Original Images.