Fashion Blog – Decked Out in Disney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

With the streets decked out in lights, the hoards of shoppers and, most importantly, the arrival of the Coca-Cola advert, I think it’s safe to say the Christmas period is upon us. However the festive season wouldn’t be complete without Harrods’ Christmas window display, and this year it’s Disney that’s taken over.

Ten designers from Elie Saab to Missoni were each given a Disney princess to design for and had to create their versions of the iconic dresses these characters wore. As a massive Disney fan (my childhood would not have been complete without the faces of Simba and Snow White!) I was extremely excited when I heard about this. Who wouldn’t love to experience some of that fantasy and fairytale we all loved as children, whilst still feeling like a grown-up?!

So, on November 1st, the displays were unveiled and, unsurprisingly the dresses look amazing! We may be short of fairy godmothers who can transform rags to ball gowns, but Donatella Versace still worked her magic and created this fab Cinderella-inspired dress.

­­­­

However, my favourite dress has to be a gorgeous creation by Elie Saab. I am obsessed with his dresses anyway, so I wasn’t really surprised when I fell in love with his design for Aurora (Sleeping Beauty).

Also on my wish list is a dress designed for my favourite Disney princess, Rapunzel, by the wonderful Jenny Packham. All the display needed was a little Pascal!

As for the other dresses, there’s Ariel by Marchesa, Jasmine by Escada, Mulan by Missoni, Belle by Valentino, Pocahontas by Roberto Cavalli, Snow White by Oscar de la Renta and Tiana (The Princess and the Frog) by Ralph & Russo.

However, Disney fever hasn’t just been contained to clothing, jeweller Chopard has caught it too. In collaboration with Harrods, and tying in with the window displays, Chopard has created a 10-piece collection inspired by the same princesses. From brooches to bracelets, every piece is dripping in diamonds, sapphires, pearls… you name it, it’s on it! It all looks amazing and is definitely fit for a princess.

All of the dresses are on http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2012/10/23/harrods-disney-princess-designer-dresses—christmas-window-display/gallery/1 and for the jewellery you can go to http://www.thejewelleryeditor.com/2012/11/disney-and-chopard-come-together-for-some-magical-jewellery/ (and as the Sleeping Beauty-inspired piece is missing from this site, here’s a pic so you see them all).

However, the window displays are up until the end of the Christmas period and the jewellery, which is being displayed in Harrods Fine Jewellery Room, can be seen until the end of December. So if you’re in London over Christmas then go see them firsthand – it’s an excuse to go to Harrods, even if you can’t afford what’s in there!

Photo credits – www.vogue.co.uk