Fashion Blog – British Fashion Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Anyone is anyone in the fashion industry was last week gathered for the British Fashion Awards. The event which has been running for the past 20 years aims to celebrate the creativity and success of both old and young British Designers. This year the stakes were higher than ever with many new names entering the fashion industry. The designers that gather are the people who decide what is in style and what looks good which then trickles down from the runway to your high street where like me, you probably do most of your shopping.  This year the event was hosted by actress Gemma Arterton and Radio 1 DJ Nick Grimshaw and looked like an event that should not have been missed. But, if you did miss it, here is a quick round up of some of my favourite and most deserving winners:

Alexa Chung –  British Style Award

Well-loved style icon Alexa Chung, took home the award for best British style and I am not arguing with that. There have been a number of times that I have flicked through fashion magazines and coveted this young Brit’s wardrobe and quite often her boyfriends too! She’s the girl everyone looks to for style advice and it seems the fashion industry have definitely taken note.

J.W Anderson – Emerging Talent Award – Ready-to-Wear

Lovers of Topshop will certainly recognise this name; J.W Anderson helped design a line of clothing for the British high street brand earlier this Autumn. His ready to wear collection shows just how important it is to British women to have a cool capsule collection of clothing they can pick and mix from for the perfect year round wardrobe.

Manolo Blahnik CBE – Outstanding Achievement Award 2012

Spanish shoe designer Manolo Blahnik took home this well-deserved award. His shoes have been on the feet of numerous celebrities for high profile events from the Oscars to Fashion Week. A favourite shoe of Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw means this is a designer and brand to keep your eye out for. Blahnik shoes are fast becoming competition for Louboutin.

Cara  Delevingne – Model of the Year Award

She has walked in too many fashion shows to count and recently became a Victoria’s Secret Angel and is currently starring in Chanel’s Autumn/Winter campaign. Her job is never ending and this girl seems to be making the most of it and enjoying herself. Her twitter followers can see her joking around with friends and back stage with other models. Cara is definitely one to watch this year!

Stella McCartney – Designer Brand Award and the Designer of the Year Award

Picking up two of the most coveted awards of the night, Stella McCartney certainly stole the show. From designing Team GB’s Olympic wardrobe to her stunning A/W ’12 collection at London Fashion Week, this designer is unbeatable right now. Her designs are worn by hundreds of celebrities and socialites and are frequently in the Best Dressed lists each week. Arguably the most deserving winner of the night, expect great things to come from this lady in 2013.

Image sources:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/even…

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/C…

http://www.catwalkqueen.tv/201…