Fashion Blog: The Beck and Call of Wedding Dress Codes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Let’s face it.  We all have that heart-lurching moment when we receive a wedding invitation. The realization hits us at top-gun speed: What on earth am I going to wear?

Naturally, you can’t slap on some makeup and slip into any old dress in a half-ditched attempt at looking decent. A wedding demands formal wear (more or less without a hair out of place). So you might as well grab at the opportunity of showing your inner fashion goddess.

Using bold, rich colours is a certain plus. If used rightly, a salmon-colored dress can accentuate your body and make you look graceful at the same time. Whereas, throwing on a plain black dress can scream, ‘funeral outfit’. But don’t get me wrong. Black is a lovely color. If used smartly, it can make you look slimmer and sexier. Let’s say, you spice up the black dress with turquoise blue peep-toed heels and a snake-blue clutchblag. Now we’re talking.

Going for a classier look at a wedding is also perfectly acceptable. For a natural and fresh look, cream whites and pale yellows can score you a seat on the fashion express train. For example, combining a creamy white, silver beaded dress, with suede ruby red pumps can have the wow-effect. To finish off your bombshell appearance, you can apply coral red lipstick to lend you a Audrey Hepburn look. Yet there are imminent dangers with chasing light colors. The dresscode rule to all weddings is that you mustn’t overshine the bride. And yes, that means avoiding purchasing white dresses like the plague. After all, all you’d need is a veil for an identity swap.

Another holy grail rule for wedding dresscodes: stay off the trousers. You’re not going to work, you’re off to a wedding! Steer away from the boring office look and show off your femininity. Unless you’re a no-dress or no-skirt girl of any kind, then combine the trousers with something that people won’t yawn at. Slip into a silky purple shirt with frills to go with your dark trousers, throw in a golden beaded necklace for a girly effect and finish of your outfit with killer ankle leather boots. In that case, trousers at a wedding aren’t dull after all.

The trickiest factor to dressing up for a wedding is the weather. If your dear friend or family member is getting married in rainy England, then you naturally might want to use tights. However, depending on the color of your tights and dress, it could really play down your outfit. Tights can steal away the attention of your dress and make you look less glamourous. If you’re willing to brave it out, then ditch the safety of your socks and show off those sexy bare legs! Yet, if there is a snow bizzard outside then the weather really isn’t on your cards. Try using interesting colored tights to amplify your outfit. For example, if wearing a bright red dress than pair it off with patterned black tights. Or if you’re wearing a black dress, go for shocking pink tights for a head-turner.

All in all, aim for a vibrant, youthful look. In the end, Weddings are all about fun, so whatever you wear, be sure to bring along your best-looking confidence and your top Beyoncé dance moves.

Image sources:

http://fashionista.com/2012/07/making-sense-of-dress-codes-what-to-wear-to-a-wedding-when-the-invite-calls-for/

http://www.fabsugar.com/What-Wear-Wedding-2012-22505670

http://fashionalcoholism.tumblr.com/post/4111711408