Fancy Christmas In London This Year?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Stuck for things to do this festive season? Look no further as London has it all!

Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show

Unless you have been hibernating from the Instagram feed lately, you may already know that the highly anticipated 19th annual Victoria’s Secret catwalk was staged in London on December 2nd. The event showcased $2 million worth of fantasy bras donned by the angels themselves, and was host to a plethora of talented acts, including performances from Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande.

If this is news or of any interest to you, you’re in luck! The show airs exclusively on the 4Music channel this Wednesday, 10 December at 9pm.

Winter Wonderland Hyde Park

No excuses not to spend a topsy-turvy candy-filled evening at Hyde Park this December. The event launched on 2nd November and runs right through into the New Year, ending on 4th January 2015 and entry is FREE.

If you haven’t yet had your annual fix of Christmas carols, this is indeed where you can sing along as you ponder through the German Christmas markets, decked out with the likes of caramel fudge, chocolate fondue and hot-off-the-press pork bratwurst – so save some room Augustus Gloop!

You can also find the UK’s largest outdoor ice-skating rink beside the Victoria Bandstand, which is illuminated by more than 10,000 lights.

It doesn’t end there; there are several rides including the 60-metre observation wheel, rollercoasters and other thrill-seeking fairground rides. Not to mention on-ground live performances and even an ice bar where the glasses are made of real ice.

I think I’ve sold this one enough!

Christmas Lights

This might go without saying, but if you do find yourself walking the London Streets this December there is every chance you will catch a glimpse of the decadent array of shine and sparkle up above.

In particular, in its 55th year of luminescent light displays, Oxford Street will spawn precisely 1778 glowing white orbs, which will be hard to miss if you’re in any way inclined to do a spot of Christmas shopping at the multi story H&M or Zara. In addition, a cylindrical spray of luminous lights and peacock inspired feather lightings will mark Bond Street and, inspired by Ben Stiller’s latest film ‘Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb’, Regent Street is decked with radiant crystal white.

I’ve been dreaming of a bright Christmas!

Bombay Bicycle Club Concert

Nothing speaks to the youth of England more so than a proper indie rock band; am I right? The boys from Crouch End, London, made a name on the music scene after winning Virgin Mobile’s “Road to V” competition in 2006. The band has since released four albums, the latest of which (‘So Long, See you Tomorrow’) topped the charts in February 2014. 

Shuffle along to Earls Court; Warwick Road on December 13 where you and your fellow indie rockers can see them live.

Jolly good show! 

Santa’s Grottos

Naughty or nice this year? A bit too late to take back those Freshers Week regrets I’m afraid, however if you would like to make a few last bids to Santa himself, you can shave off a few years and join the kids at one of the Grottos Santa will visit this month.

Come one, come all to the Duke of York Square, Kings Road where even fully grown kids are welcome to meet Mr Claus and his reindeer, pass on a few Christmas wishes, and even take a souvenir photo with Santa and his elves.

A day out for you and your yippee younger cousins perhaps!

Liberty London

If there’s a few coins left in that student loan you might find mum a gift at London’s iconic store Liberty London on the corner of Regent Street, in the West End district of Soho. The department store has kept its Tudor design shop front since 19th Century London Merchant Arthur Liberty first opened it in 1875.

Praised by the adored writer and poet of the time, Oscar Wilde himself, ‘Liberty is the chosen resort for the artistic shopper.’

The store hosts several luxury art, fashion and homewares across four floors and even stocks its own fabric line.

New Years Eve

Finally, if you are indeed lucky enough to extend your stay into the New Year then London has your New Years Evening covered! 

The prodigious pyrotechnics are already hard at work ensuring that this year’s display of fireworks sets the world-class city into a league of its own.

Due to the spectator numbers increasing at the speed of light, this fireworks display will be a ticketed event this year. Apparently the odd 500,000-person turn out the previous year was somewhat overwhelming!

The £10 cost will contribute to safety and administration and it is thought that the 100,000 ticket holders will all get a decent view of the show held on Southbank on December 31.

A tenner well spent I dare say!

Mia O’Connor

Image Source:

1) http://www.pinterest.com/pin/335518240960980099/

2) Original Image

3) http://www.pinterest.com/pin/77898268528830571/