Christmas Themed Party Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Christmas time is the ultimate excuse to celebrate, socialise and spend time with loved ones. It’s a great opportunity to catch up, relax and let’s face it – we all enjoy a good party after a year of hard work! Want to throw a Christmas party or casual get-together at your place but scratching your head over what to do? Here are some Christmas themed party ideas that are perfect for those who want to make the most of this festive season.

1.      Christmas Musical ‘Jam’ Session.

Throwing a Christmas Musical ‘Jam’ Session is great for those who play professionally or just want to have a bit of fun. If you want to have a more ‘formal’ and posh get-together you can play traditional orchestra style pieces, perform to an audience of friends and family and have a classy selection of wine and cheese nibbles. For a more relaxed and casual ‘Jam’ session why not try playing those cheesy pop Christmas Hits that people moan about but secretly love? A competitive ‘X Factor’ is great for those who want to add a bit of competition. Prizes for the winner(s) don’t have to be fancy and can be a Christmas voucher, hamper, a nice glass of wine, a free Christmas dinner etc.

2.      Arts and Crafts.

Throwing an Arts and Crafts Christmas get-together is a lovely therapeutic event for those who just want to chill, relax and be creative at the same time. Some Arts and Craft ideas are include making your own Christmas party hats, decorations, cards and gifts, table decorations, Christmas tags etc. It’s a great inclusive event if you have little ones involved as well.

3.      The Great Christmas Bake Off.

Fan of the Great British Bake Off? Or just love baking or snacking on homemade goodies? Christmas is a great excuse to get people together and bake. With an awesome selection of Christmas sweet treats, you’re essentially spoilt for choice on what you can make. Why not try making some classic Christmas biscuits or challenge yourself by making a gingerbread house? Mince pies, Christmas cake and Christmas pudding are also classics. An external third party can judge and then everyone can feast out and enjoy at the end with some mulled wine.

4.      Traditional Meal.

A classic Christmas dinner with all the trimmings is perfect for those who like to keep things traditional. Everyone can pitch in by bringing some food, drinks and desert to take the weight off whoever is hosting. Traditional Christmas meals are a great time to sit down, catch up with people and eat some delicious food. Put up some Christmas lights, decorations and light candles to set the tone. After the meal you can play a game of Mafia, Salad Bowl, Charades or do a quiz.

5.      Ugly Christmas Jumper Party.

Ugly Christmas Jumper Parties are all about celebrating the most awful pieces of knitting. Everybody feels absolutely ridiculous yet happy and accepted at the same time. If you’re hosting you can really embrace the theme and go all out by decorating your place with ugly sweater centre pieces, party banners and even have gingerbread men with ugly sweaters decorated on (as pictured!). Prizes can be awarded for the ugliest jumper. Encourage everyone to go all out – the more outrageous and crazier the better! 

6.      Christmas Film Night.

If you prefer chilling with a small group of friends, keeping things small and cosy then why not try hosting a Christmas Film Night? There are so many Christmas films out there so there is bound to be something that caters for all. Get festive, bring out your favourite onesie and make some mulled wine for the night. Movie snacks are a must and to keep up the Christmassy feeling you can bring out some tasty Christmas chocolates, mini rolls and biscuits.

7.      Winter Wonderland Party.

If you’re into decorating and interior design, then planning and decorating for a Winter Wonderland themed party is perfect. Challenge yourself by turning your place into a beautiful wintery habitat. You can be inspired by classic winter movies like ‘The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe’, ‘Frozen’ and ‘Happy Feet’. There are no limits! Decorations can be winter themed balloons, table cloths, candles and snowflakes. Food and dessert can also be winter themed.

8.      Christmas Charity Get-together

Christmas is all about giving to others and is a perfect opportunity to give to someone else or help a significant cause. Operation Christmas Child is a great campaign that presents Christmas presents in a shoebox to children in developing countries. Groups can get together, buy presents, sort them out together and send off the shoeboxes. Other Christmas charity ideas are carolling in a local retirement home, getting together to make a hamper for people in a homeless shelter or throwing a small Christmas quiz event to raise money for charity.

Image Sources:

1.      http://www.chatelaine.com/tag/homemade-christmas-ornaments/

2.      http://realuglychristmassweaters.com/ugly-christmas-sweater-party-ideas/

3.      http://www.karaspartyideas.com/2014/08/frozen-winter-wonderland-themed-birthday-party.html/2?replytocom=6468051