Celeb Goss Blog: What You Missed Last Week – 22.04.12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis

Since divorcing from Demi Moore last November, Ashton Kutcher has already been romantically linked to Rihanna. Since those rumours have been dismissed by both parties, the new girl on the scene is apparently his former 70s show co-star Mila Kunis. The pair have supposedly been friends since they were 15, however the papers have only just caught on to the idea that they may be more than just friends after being pictured furniture shopping together this week followed by dinner. Which of course has excited the press seeing as both starred in films recently focussing on friends ‘with benefits’ who have ‘no strings attached’ who then turn out to have feelings for each other…

Gary Barlow Returns to X Factor

Despite ratings falling significantly from the previous year, Simon Cowell has re-hired Gary Barlow for this years The X Factor. Barlow, who is currently expecting his fourth child announced to fans on twitter this week that he was ‘so happy ‘ to be returning to the X Factor, and is very excited at the prospect of finding another superstar. Kelly Rowland, Tulisa, and Louis Walsh who made up the rest of the judging team last year are all yet to confirm or deny their return for the next series. The very first round of auditions have already been held early this year, but no contestants have been judged by the celebrity panel as of yet.

Jessie J:  Lesbian?

As Cheryl, Kelly and recently Tulisa have come to realise, being a talent show judge brings with it a lot more publicity than was perhaps sought after, and since Jessie J took the job as a ‘mentor’ on BBC’s The Voice, she too has received the same treatment by the press. Her unauthorised biography was released this week, and the author has apparently disclosed that Jessie J is not in fact bi-sexual as was previously believed, but is 100% gay. The author supposes that her record company persuaded her to make fans believe she was bi as coming out as a lesbian could result in a ‘career damaging backlash’. However, Jessie hit back at the claims by taking to twitter to express her frustration at the rumours:‘Ha! Thanks for writing yet another boring untrue story. I thought I was still dating Tinie (Tempah), NO Ellie G (Goulding), NO Mark Wright….bla bla bla! #cantkeepup #noneofitstrue’

One Direction to Change Name?

One Direction have been unstoppable recently in their quest to become the biggest boy band in the world, and all seemed to be going to plan up until this week when a US punk group also named ‘One Direction’ announced they were suing the boys for trademark infringement. The Californian five-piece claim to have been using the name for a year before one direction were formed by X Factor in 2010 and have hired lawyers to attempt to put an injunction on the group to use the name, as well as asking for $1million in damages and a share in the boy band’s profits so far. Speaking in an interview in Australia this week, Harry Styles and Zayne Malik have defiantly claimed that they refuse to change their name.

Dappy Arrested

Dappy has taken the limelight from Tulisa this week in terms of grabbing headlines when he was arrested on Friday night for getting into a fight involving a group eight men. The bust up took place at a petrol station in Surrey, and a statement released by the police reported that three of the men received ‘serious facial injuries’ as a result of the attack. According to the papers, the confrontation began when Dappy and his friends approached a group of girls and asked them to join them, and after the girls declined, one of the men proceeded to spit in their direction. Dappy and one other are currently held in custody. 

Hannah first joined Her Campus as part of the Illinois branch as a writer during her study abroad year at UofI. While in the US, Hannah joined Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and subsequently began to write a weekly column for the Greek newspaper, The Odyssey. Now back home in the UK, Hannah has founded the first ever UK HC branch for her own university, The University of Leeds. She is in her final year of a Politics degree and is excited for the year ahead and what great things Her Campus Leeds will achieve. Outside of her studies, Hannah enjoys travel, fashion and being an alumni of The University of Leeds Celtics Cheerleading squad where she ran as PR Secretary for the committee during her 2nd year.