This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

You have been waiting for this moment for a long time. You have finally moved out. This is something you have wanted to do for years; to be free of your parents, to have your own freedom, to move to a new town that is completely different to the place where you grew up. You want to find an adventure, go somewhere to meet different types of people, and experience different things. Then as freshers’ week goes by, and the excitement of moving out settles down, reality hits you. This is the first time that you have had to take care of yourself. It is time to start doing your own laundry, cleaning, and cooking, which is something that you have never had to do before. You will ask yourself questions like ‘What ingredients do I need to make this recipe?’, ‘Why on earth do I need onions for this?’ You will begin to adopt a thought process that involves knowing a list of requirements for the washing machine and the right things to buy from the supermarket. You may find yourself saying ‘I ought to phone mum. She’d know exactly what to do. I miss mum. I miss dad too. He is probably driving home from work now. It’s been so long since I last saw them. I haven’t seen my friends in ages either’. You may wonder what they are doing. Just like this, it begins to hit you that you have actually left home. All of the people that you have spent your life with before now feel a million miles away. This is going to be your home for the next three years, this new foreign world. What have you gotten yourself into?

Feeling homesick is a natural part of university life for all of those who have moved away from home, especially if it is for the first time. Your hometown, the place that you know like the back of your hand, the place where you have lived for the past eighteen years, is now miles and miles away. It’s completely normal to miss your hometown; it’s where you are from, and where you have grown up. You are bound to feel this way after spending the majority of your life there. You are leaving behind a part of your life that you have known for so long. It’s no wonder that you feel overwhelmed, with the added responsibility of household chores, academic work, your new found university social life, and adjusting to a completely new town. It can take some time getting used to it all. Home is somewhere familiar, it’s somewhere comfortable, and it’s okay to miss it. Just remember that you are not alone. There are more than 30,000 students at the University of Leeds, and about one quarter of these individuals feel the same way that you do. Also, remember that the majority of second and third year students have been through the same things that you are feeling and experiencing right now. We have all felt out of our depth at some point, but as you get more and more settled into this new world, you’ll start to feel less homesick as you begin to create your own life here in Leeds. Here are some tips that I would suggest using to tackle the homesickness blues.

1) Get involved and get busy

University life has so much to offer, and not just in terms of clubbing. With over 250 societies to choose from, there are a variety of activities to try. So, whether you’re interested in sports, music, or media, you’re sure to find something that tickles your fancy. You may even find yourself meeting new people who you could potentially become friends with. If you’re looking to try something entirely new, such as archery, then ‘Give It A Go’ sessions can be a great way to get a preview of what the society and its activities are like. To find out more information, click here.

2) Talk to your parents and home friends (in moderation)  

It can be really comforting calling your parents and your friends. Talking to them about how you feel may make you feel much better, as I’m sure that they are missing you too! You can even share aspects of your life in Leeds with them, updating them on things that have happened to you and finding out about the adventures that they have been up to. Try to make plans with them for during the Christmas holidays, so that you will have something to look forward to in the near future. However, make sure that you aren’t spending all of your time talking to them because you may find yourself feeling more homesick than you already are. By getting involved with things outside of classes, you will have more things to talk about when you do speak, which will definitely make the conversations you have much more fruitful.

3) Do the things you love

Do something that you enjoy doing, whether that includes visiting the local library to pick up some new books, playing an instrument, or experimenting with nail polish designs. Doing things you enjoy will not only put a smile on your face, but also make this new city feel a little more homely. Also, it’s another thing to look forward to after a long day of lectures and seminars!

In the future, albeit strange, you may find that when you are home for the holidays, you’re actually homesick – homesick for Leeds. The truth is, as cheesy as it might sound, the home is where the heart is. Throughout your first year, you are coming to terms with this big change, trying to piece together the puzzle of your life in your new surroundings. Then, before you know it, you’ll end up having crafted a new life and a new home, which has brought you new experiences, memories, friendships, and possibly even relationships! Just remember that you’re not alone. The blues are only temporary, and there is so much more to come!

Image Sources:

1) http://www.hdwallpapersinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Sad-Wallpapers-2012-09.jpg

2) http://www.sussexstudent.com/files/minisites/40063/peoplesigningup.jpg

3) http://www.technewsdaily.com/images/i/000/000/351/i02/teen-texting-100419-02.jpg?1348086963

4) http://www.imayvomit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/woman-playing-guitar1.jpg

Fatema Jairaj