Campus Celebrity: Avigail Kohn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Her Campus Leeds talks to Avigail Kohn, the President of the newly formed PPE Society (Politics, Philosophy and Economics).

Hi Avigail, tell us a bit about yourself!

Hi, I’m Avi! I was born in London but I’ve spent my whole life in the Netherlands, though I’m also part Israeli. I study PPE but I have lots of different interests including reading, horseriding, and travelling.

How did you first get involved in PPE society?

Well, when I started PPE last year it was the first year that the course had run at Leeds. I noticed that it was difficult for my coursemates to meet one another outside of classes as we could only join the separate single honours politics, philosophy and economics societies. So, I decided to set up the society so that PPE students could get a chance to know eachother in a less formal setting.

What’s the best thing about it so far?

The best thing so far has been meeting lots of likeminded people who have the same interests as me! It’s also been fun working with the committee to provide support for the new students this year. We know how much of a difference it will make and so it’s a great feeling to be able to help.

What’s a typical week like for you?

My job includes meeting the committee, planning events and socials (we try to plan something once every two weeks!), answering emails, doing risk assessments and running the facebook page. Other than that I am part of lots of other societies including the Gryphon, Jewish Society and I work at the Wonder Water Bar on the weekends. I have quite a few lectures and a lot of independent work – three subjects can take its toll on my free time.

As its the start of the new year, is there anything exciting planned that we should know about?We’ve got loads of plans on the go, including our PPE Otley Run on Friday 2nd October, bringing in entrepreneurs to talk to students and, of course, lots of socials in Bierkeller!

How can students get involved?

The best way to get involved is to buy membership or check us out via our facebook page at LUU PPE Society.

Is there anything else you’d like to add?

If you’re interested in PPE come along to our events, we’re really friendly and would love to meet you! I’ve really enjoyed being part of a committee so far so I’d advise anyone who is thinking about it go for it. It looks great on your CV and means you get to meet tons of interesting people! I can’t wait for the rest of the year!