This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

55,200. That’s enormous, right?

This is the sad reality of the number of breast cancer cases in our country. Every. Single. Year. What if I told you that this averages at around 150 cases per day? That is a truth almost too daunting to confront. These shocking statistics suggest that everyone will know someone who has been affected by breast cancer. I know I do and I’d be surprised if you didn’t. A relative? A neighbour? Maybe a friend?

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I feel guilty to say, that ordinarily as October rolls around this is not something that regularly crosses my mind. Therefore, I want to write this article as a reminder to myself and to others that one of those 55,200 people could one day be me, you, or a loved one. Cancer is something that can affect anyone, it does not discriminate. So, it’s time to reprimand and motivate ourselves to do our part!

How can I do my bit? You might ask. The starting point is simple, to all the guys, gals and non-binary pals (yes, this doesn’t just affect women)…CHECK YOUR BREASTS! It is recommended that a self-examination should be done once a month. Really, how hard is that? It takes a couple of minutes that would probably be otherwise spent napping or scrolling through your phone (don’t pretend your day consists of much else). However, I suspect that most people wouldn’t have a clue where to start or do a self-exam properly and effectively. I definitely didn’t, until I looked it up recently. I encourage you all to factor this into your routines every month. It’s far better to detect lumps and other changes early, even if it amounts to nothing!

There are a variety of ways to do a self-exam, all of which are very straight-forward:

1. Use your three middle fingers and place differing pressure around your armpit and breast region, checking for any bumps, knots and other changes.

2. It is also recommended that you check your breasts in the mirror once a month too. You should stand in front of the mirror with your arms by your side. Then raise your arms over your head and check for any changes. (Keep scrolling, there is a list of changes to look out for below).

3. Another way which is recommended is to do your self-exam is lying down. This way, your breast tissue is spread-out evenly, so that it makes it easier for you to identify any changes. It is recommended that you place a pillow under one of your shoulders and then raise this arm just behind your head. With the opposite hand, use the pads of your fingers to cover your armpit and breast region to check for any bumps or changes.

Below is also a list of breast cancer symptoms which are important to be aware of taken from the Macmillan website

1. A lump on the breast

2. Thickening of the skin or tissue of the breast or dimpling of the skin on the breast

3. A lump or swelling in either armpit

4. A change in the shape or size of the breast, such as swelling in all or part of the breast

5. A nipple turning in (inverted nipple)

6. A rash (like eczema) on the nipple

7. Discharge or bleeding from the nipple

8. Pain or discomfort in the breast that does not go away

But please, if you notice any of the above, try not to freak out too quickly. There are plenty of other explanations, so try not to jump to conclusions! For anyone who is particularly concerned, I found this really useful eBook: ‘Breast Problems That Aren’t Breast Cancer’, which is very helpful in explaining other causes for breast changes and is completely free. Whilst I did find it slightly gendered, it was still an informative resource. Simply put in your details and they will email a copy across almost instantly.

In terms of the ways in which you can help others who are battling breast cancer, one of the most helpful things you can do is to share your knowledge. If you see articles, posts and other helpful information, make sure to repost it. We all have a platform of some kind, so I urge you to use it! Whether it be on social media, or in-person, try to start the conversation. You can also help by donating and there are plenty of charities to choose from. During these difficult times, money isn’t always in surplus. However, there are lots of other ways to donate. For example, charity shops are more than willing to accept unwanted clothes, accessories and household items. Next time you’re thinking of having a clear-out, save it for the charity shop! You can also fundraise, which is a great way to get involved in your community and take an active role in beating breast cancer and spreading awareness. Cancer Research UK also do a weekly lottery, where for just £1 a week you have the chance to win up to £15,000!

People battling (or who have battled with) breast cancer are undoubtably brave. But what is always harrowing to me, is the agonising fact that they’ve had no choice BUT to be brave. Cancer affects people without rhyme or reason. So, during this important month I urge you all to take an active role in helping to beat breast cancer. Remember to look after yourselves too with a simple self-exam to prevent late detection!

Some other useful sources:

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/donate-to-breast-cancer

Words By: Ellen Churchyard

Edited By: Olivia Snelson 

Hi! I'm Ellen, a second year English Literature student aspiring to write fun and informative articles :)