bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

In honour of Breast Cancer Awareness Month and “Wear it Pink” yesterday on 19th October 2018, I thought it was an important time to share my experiences with Breast Cancer and some of the things I have learned from growing up in a family with a history of it.

(Photo Credit: Wear It Pink )

When I was eight years old, my mother and I had gone to our local Susan G. Komen, Race for the Cure. Susan G. Komen is an organization for breast cancer that funds research, community health outreach, advocacy and programs in more than 60 countries. I remember my mom told me: “imagine how amazing it would be if a cure for breast cancer exists when you are older”. That was her justification for why we were supporting this cause. Little did I know that the actual reason was because my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer; I was told about this a few years later, when I was old enough to understand. Fortunately, she did receive the appropriate treatment for her individual situation and is still going strong to this day.

Then, three summers ago, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer as well. She had stage 0 cancer, so it was very early diagnosis. After I heard about this diagnosis, I realised what an impact breast cancer has on my family. I remember seeing my mother, the strongest woman I know, at the hospital and hoping that everything would be okay. After receiving treatment, she still had to take care of herself post-surgery. I remember helping my mother, the woman who cared for me, with day-to-day tasks around the home. She used to need help reaching for items on high shelves in the kitchen, since the range of motion of her arms was limited due to her surgery. Each day, I saw her gradually getting better. Ultimately, she was able to continue with her normal daily activities.

Seeing two of my family members’ lives permanently influenced by breast cancer put some things in perspective for me. It made me realise that breast cancer can affect anyone, and we all need to be aware and support those who are currently suffering. I started actively supporting fundraisers and events pertaining to Breast Cancer.

(photo credit: Breast Cancer Care )

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. According to the World Cancer Research Fund, breast cancer is the most common cancer in women worldwide. While the cause of breast cancer is unknown, certain individuals are at a higher risk than others, such as people of old age and those who have had a family history of it. The best thing that we can do is to support and empower individuals who are fighting breast cancer. In addition, we can also donate to fund research towards the cure and prevention of his life-threatening illness. Finally, we must take care of ourselves by performing breast self-examinations each month; if there are any abnormalities, it is important to get checked because it does not hurt to be overcautious, it might even save your life.

With the ever-increasing awareness, everyone can do their part to fight breast cancer.

Niharika graduated from the University of Florida with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics. She wrote for Her Campus UFL during her time at UF. She also wrote for Her Campus Leeds when she spent her junior year abroad at the University of Leeds in Leeds, England. She tried drinking tea when in England but is still a coffee person at heart. As a Colorado native, Niharika loves hiking, skiing, and mountain biking. In her spare time, she likes to explore her creativity through photography and drawing. 
Senior Editor for Leeds Her Campus 2018-19