This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Boris Johnson, who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 24 July, 2019, announced his resignation on 7 July 2022. Johnson announced his resignation as Prime Minister after serving just under three years at Number 10. He told the public: “I want you to know how sad I am to be giving up the best job in the world, but them’s the breaks.” 

Why is Boris Johnson resigning?

While many lined up to replace Boris Johnson after his announcement of retirement, there were questions around his reasons for retirement. After senior Cabinet ministers, including previous Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak, and a long list of junior officials resigned – making it difficult for Johnson to run the government – he finally decided to step down as Prime Minister.

His term as the leader of the Conservative Party ended with scandals that included breaches of COVID-19 pandemic lockdown rules, the appointment of a minister who had been accused of sexual misconduct, and a luxury renovation of his official residence. After a lot of battling for his job, Johnson had to step down as more than fifty government ministers quit; however, he said that his removal felt “eccentric” and the result of “herd instinct”. Despite leaving office, he made a final pledge to the people of Ukraine: “I know that we in the UK will continue to back your fight for freedom for as long as it takes.” 

The Leadership Race for Prime Minister 

In the following leadership race, Rishi Sunak, the former Chancellor of the Exchequer, was seen as a front runner. Nadhim Zahawi was also recommended as a potential candidate. Other potential candidates included: then Attorney General Suella Braverman, Tom Tugendhat who went public with their campaigns, the Defence Secretary Ben Wallace, and then Foreign Secretary Liz Truss. Of course, Liz Truss was finally selected and became the UK’s new Prime Minister on 6 September 2022

Written by: Ruchi Sohni

Edited by: Joanne Spence-Thomas

Ruchi Rai Sohni is an Indian student who has moved to the UK to study MA in Media Industries, she is a part of the writers, editors and social media team at Her Campus. She is the Media Course Representative for the University of Leeds and has a strong passion for writing and editing. She has published many articles online for well-known magazines and newspapers. When she is not writing, she loves Baking, Horse Riding and spending time with her loved ones.