Book Blog: Why we Need Feminist Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Last week, the Suffragette Film was released in cinemas and my experience of going to watch the film has inspired this week’s book blog entry. I’d been waiting months for the release date for the opportunity to march into the cinema with my fellow feminists (hey flat mates) and feel like part of a movement that continues to inspires activism for women’s rights.

On leaving the cinema and wiping my tears (tip: don’t get attached to Cary Mulligan’s ADORABLE child), we headed home only to be faced with our own modern day patriarchy. Namely, a man-bun rocking, cologne laden ‘lad’ who proceeded to address all four of us as unified “sugar-tits”. I think I’ve made my case for the need for this film, which should probably just be repeatedly shown in boy’s schools until they have pictures of Meryl Streep in their lockers.  As well as this film, I think books are a great way to inform people about the struggles the feminist movement has faced, so find below my personal selection. These books are not just about the political ventures of Pankhurst & co., but also the tales of some straight up fabulous 21st Century women. 

1. How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran – When choosing these books I kept asking myself the question ‘what would I want to give my 15 year old sister to read?’ (If she ever breaks up with Netflix). This book was top of the list, along with the sequel “How to be a Woman”, which provides the ultimate guide for dealing with the troubling time that is the 21st Century for those of us with boobs. Described as “part memoir, part rant” this is the first step towards accepting yourself as a feminist in the making.

2. The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer – Released in the 70s, this book is slightly ‘heavier’ that Moran’s story, but just as significant 40 years since its publication. Greer is renowned as one of the leading feminists of her time, and this text was part of a radical move away from how society genders identities in the family structure. I.e. I ain’t yo’ housewife.

3. We Should All Be Feminists – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – This book is based on a lecture given about how the ways gender stereotypes are taught in society means both men and women suffer. As well as being hilarious and thought-provoking, you can also watch Chimamanda’s TedTalk online like a motivating, feminist podcast!

4. I am Malala – The perfect example of a worldwide, modern-day Feminist, Malala Yousafzai’s book is more than just fiction, but the reality of her incredible fight for her right to Education. In addition to being the youngest person to ever receive the Nobel Peace Prize and having a film about to be released about her story, , Malala has written a book which teaches readers the importance of a girl’s right to education no matter where she lives in the world.

These are only a few suggestions, but think of them as your own personal step towards educating Mr. Man Bun in the art of common decency. Enjoy!