Book Blog: The Perfect Present

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Title: The Perfect Present

Author: Karen Swan

Publisher: Pan

Rating: 3/5

I first read this book while holidaying on a beach in the middle of August, which wasn’t the most inspired idea as the book is set at Christmas time. While the novel’s snowy setting didn’t quite match my holiday sunshine, it does make the book perfect for a winter Christmas read. The Perfect Present was well written, of mostly light content, with love and heart ache wrapped up in a chic lit shaped bow. Not the best chic lit read, but certainly a good one.

Revolving round Laura Cunningham, a jeweller, the plot unfolds to reveal her small, structured world shaken alive by Rob Blake. Rob commissions a charm necklace from Laura for his wife, Cat Blake, to represent seven of the most important relationships in her life. As Laura interviews Cat’s family and friends for the necklace she gets caught up in their world of wealth and glamour, which triggers memories of a past which has haunted Laura for far too long.

I want to begin by saying that I love the idea behind this book; of our past making us the people we are today. I really like the idea of someone creating charm bracelets where the charms are based on interviews with the closest people in someone’s life. I would definitely be buying one of these if I found someone who made them (and if I could afford it of course!). But was the idea well executed? For the most part, yes. The plot took a little time to warm up at the beginning but once the real story began I was intrigued throughout. Twists and secrets were constantly revealed, and while most were entirely unexpected unfortunately a few were. I found myself at one stage impatient that the characters were still trying to catch on to what I had already assumed was obvious. Having said this, the characters themselves were a credit to Swan’s writing skill as readers meet quite a few characters during the book, but each one is well formed enough for readers to empathise with the emotions each character goes through. Whether it’s the disappointed forgotten friend, the unrequited lover or Laura herself, Swan allows the reader to understand each character individually which adds depth to the plot. The ending was also perfect. Readers are kept in suspense right up until the end over and luckily the explanations are well worth the wait!    

While chic lit may not have the allure of ‘cooler’ or more esteemed books, the genre will always be my not-so-guilty pleasure, and The Perfect Present is no exception. It provides love stories, unhappiness, glamour and above all a memorable, unique and well written plot. What more reason do I need to recommend this book? Aside from inspiring future jewellers to make me a meaningful charm bracelet that is …  

Image Source:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0…

By Aimee Little