This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Title: Child 44

Author: Tom Rob Smith

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Rating: 4/5

Yes, this is another book review on a story set in the Soviet Union, which proves I really wasn’t joking when I said this time period fascinates me. This time, however, I opted for a thriller that was recommended to me by a friend (which is my favourite way of finding new books for my reading list!). I soon found out why my friend raved about it, aside from a minor flaw it was a page turner that I’d definitely recommend to others.

Based on the real life Soviet serial killer Andrei Chikatilo, who killed over 50 women and children between 1978 and 1990, the plot looks at the socialist Soviet system. Under this system the state believed that as everyone theoretically received what they needed there was no motive for crime, unlike in a Capitalist society. Therefore, the mere reporting of a serial killer would mean accusing the state of imperfection, which itself was a crime against the state. Enter Leo Demidov, an MGB secret police officer who, becoming disillusioned with society after being disgraced and demoted, goes against the state and risks both his and his wife’s lives by linking together a series of murders in an attempt to uncover a serial killer that the state refuses to acknowledge exists.   

The first book in the trilogy creates interesting parallels between the actions of the MGB and the murderer, as both are effectively killing and hurting innocent people. The MGB through torture and execution, sometimes without any evidence against the accused, and the murderer by killing innocent children.

Smith conveys the culture of fear which fed the Soviet regime brilliantly by placing it in the context of how that fear became embedded itself within families and relationships, and was hidden behind unspoken truths. However, I found the unexpected plot twist towards the end unrealistic and slightly unnecessary as there is enough depth to the story already without this. Also detracting from the realism was the ending, which I felt was far too neat considering the complicated, messy experiences the main characters had been through.

Having said that, these become minor flaws as they are outweighed by the gripping story itself. The short chapters, jumping between the experiences of Leo to the serial killer to Raisa Demidov, Leo’s wife, all portray life in the Soviet Union from different perspectives while adding to the fast pace of the novel. Cuts to chapters where a murder takes place also adds to the pressing importance upon Leo to find the killer before he strikes again. It is the clever capturing of the intricacies of life in the Soviet Union combined with the thriller storyline that attracts readers, and makes me want to pick up the next part of the trilogy to find out what happens next.     

Image Source:

http://authors.simonandschuster.co.uk/Tom-Rob-Smith/65784573

Aimee Little