Bikini Season- Do you dare to bare?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

It is official, January sucks. The memories of Christmas cheer are almost long forgotten, with our sequinned Topshop dress (when will I ever wear this again this year?), damaged bank statements and extra “curves” now being the only reminders of the festive season. The optimism of the New Year appears to have been left behind on January 2nd, with the reality of the world being brought back into focus once again, and this leaving us all, well, a teeny bit sad. With this in mind, it may not come as a surprise that more summer holidays are booked in the month of January than any other month of the year, with the ideals of sun, sea and sand relighting hope in our minds and reminding us that all is not lost. Life can be good again.

I have to admit that I myself have fell into this consumerism trap, (damn you persistent holiday adverts!), with the booking of a girls holiday to Ibiza giving me something to look forward to in the summer of 2013. Something that I hope will take my mind off the fact that my student house is so cold I can see my own breath and I am writing this article in bed… whilst wearing a duffle coat. Oh the perks of student living. But in the haze of the dreams of sandy beaches, cocktails by the pool and partying with some of your best friends until 6 AM, I am hit with a huge realisation: bikini season is looming. Opening numerous magazines and being faced with the sights of celebrities who look amazing in their two-pieces, as well as going on holiday with three girls who wouldn’t be out of place on a runway, is enough to make me shudder with fear. Do I dare to bare all? Unless onesies suddenly become the summer’s hot fashion trend (highly unlikely in Ibiza’s climate), it looks like I have no choice but to do so. So here a few tips to getting that bikini body that you’ve always wanted. Let’s hope I can practise what I preach…

Work up a sweat

Well we know that this one was to be expected. Apologies girls, boring I know. As much as I hate to admit it, the only way to see tangible results and differences is to exercise and eat healthy. Who would have thought it? Suppose I best put down this cake… But lets be honest with ourselves, nobody likes the gym. And if you say you do, you are lying. So if like me you would rather stick pins into your eyes than pound the treadmill, mix it up a little bit and make exercising fun (two words that aren’t often seen in the same sentence I know). So why not grab a friend and try out a class that you’ve never done before. Zumba, Spinning, Aerobics, Pilates, the choices are endless. While you’ll still be working up a sweat, it’ll be so much fun that you won’t even realise! Kind of…

Preen, pluck and pamper

If like me the effort required at the gym and the survival on lettuce leaves isn’t really your thing then there are other ways to look and feel good in the heat this summer. Nothing is better than smooth and well-cared for skin and while I’m not promising you the body of Miranda Kerr just by giving your skin that extra bit of TLC, it can make you feel better when baring all. Do something which makes you feel good; whether that is having a pedicure, having a wax (okay so this one does not feel good!) or exfoliating before hitting the beach, these little things can make a huge difference. Soap and Glory products are my personal favourites, with their products leaving skin looking and smelling good!

Love you

It doesn’t matter how much weight you lose or how toned you may be, feeling good in a bikini is just as important as looking good in it (I tell myself this when looking at Victoria Secret models). And repeat: mind over matter, mind over matter. And with this rule, you can still eat pizza (what is not to love?). Feeling good in yourself means not comparing yourself to others on the beach, body envy is never healthy and in most parts completely unachievable, celebrities have a team to make them look that way! My bets are no one on the beach really cares or is paying attention, so relax on holiday, embrace bikini season and have fun! Who wants to ruin a holiday by being self conscious? Kate Moss did once say “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels” and I’ll leave you to ponder that rather, debatable, opinion.

Image sources

http://authorslounge.authorsxp…

http://pinterest.com/pin/23334…