This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

The winter season is upon us! The time has come to replace our maxi dresses and denim shorts with large, oversized coats and warm, cosy sweaters. We cannot deny the thrill we get when Topshop release their new autumn and winter collections, or when the River Island shoe section is overloaded with fabulous new boots. However girls, winter is not just a time to revamp our wardrobes, it is also the time to revamp our beauty regimes. Our skin is just as important as fashion, and so we should treat ourselves with a make-up makeover for the new season. From your locks, to your lips, to your legs, make sure that you look after every inch of your body. Here are a few suggestions on how to do so.

Although winter may be the season for cute snugly hats, we all try to avoid the hat hair epidemic. Not only that, but the struggles of frizz, static and dryness are all things that our hair has to face during winter. To be slightly scientific, the reason that our hair goes through this process is due to lower levels of humidity in the air, which then causes our scalp to dry out, sometimes leaving us with the dreaded dandruff. My advice is to try using TRESemmé’s Climate Control Finishing Spray (around £5), as it shields your hair from any type of weather and gives you healthy-looking  locks.

We must not forget the importance of looking after our perfect pouts, and the need to avoid getting dry, chapped lips, as it isn’t the look we’re after! A good tip is to avoid licking your lips when you feel them getting dry, and to prevent yourself biting them when you are stressed, as this tends to worsen the flakiness and cracking. I would advise using a good moisturising lip balm, such as Vaseline Lip Therapy Pink Bubbly – Limited Edition (around £3.50), which will not only soften your lips, but also give you an excuse for some Pink Bubbly anytime throughout the day!

Another complaint we usually make when winter arrives is that we are lacking that summer glow. We can feel as pale as white paint, and sometimes the cold weather leaves our skin feeling the same way. To enhance a dull complexion and introduce your skin to a gradual glow, why not try Dove Summer Glow Nourishing Body Lotion (around £3)? This gradually builds up colour in your skin and hydrates it at the same time; not to mention the way that it cuts out the need for a spray tan. This is good news for our purses!

Applying foundation in winter is something many of us seem to get wrong. Is it just me, or do we tend to feel we must lather more and more on like icing on a cake, or that we try to avoid wearing it all together? Piling it on is definitely not the solution, and nor is leaving the house with blotchy, flaky skin. Why not try choosing a foundation that evens out skin tone and moisturises at the same time? Go for a lighter foundation, perhaps a mousse or powder to avoid feeling and looking like a plastered wall.

Our legs may be hidden more during these colder months, covered by high boots and longer skirts, but it doesn’t mean that we should leave them unattended. Sexy legs are still important for winter and it is extremely important not to get lazy and hibernate from shaving or waxing! Exfoliating is extremely essential when it comes to getting rid of old skin cells and should become a ritual for pre-shaving, especially in the winter months. St Ives Invigorating All Over Body Scrub (around £5.50) not only exfoliates the legs, but can also be used for the whole body. In addition, it smells really good, which is always a bonus.

Lastly, a part of our body that may get forgotten is our nails. Both our toenails and finger nails are also affected by the lower temperatures. Brittleness and splitting often occur due to dried out nails, though this can easily be prevented by filing them so that they don’t get too long. This can be done using nail serums, and also by taking a break from nail polish (as hard as that may be for some of us). Barielle Restorative Nail Serum (around £6) strengthens nails and gives them a natural shine.

So, now you have no excuses for blaming the winter weather on not looking as good as you know you should. Simply because the sun has disappeared for a few months, it doesn’t mean that our skin should stop glowing too. Moreover, if you are a student living on a tight budget (like myself), looking good doesn’t have to come at a high price. Flush out toxins by drinking plenty of water and herbal teas, as well as soups, to get in your daily fluids. Eat plenty of foods rich in omega-3, such as oily fish like tuna and salmon, and vitamin C, such as tomatoes and citrus fruits, and try to stay away from sugary snacks and caffeine! Well, I did say try.

Prices from: www.boots.com

Image sources:

http://www.anewmode.com/beauty/winter-beauty-essentials/

http://www.tresemme.com/Products/Climate-Control/Climate-Control-Finishing-Spray/

http://belles-boutique.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/vaseline-pink-bubbly-limited-edition.html

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Dove-Summer-Glow–Soft-Shimmer-Body-Lotion-NormalDarker-Skin/48666011

http://www.salonskincare.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/2853