Life > Experiences

(BA) CREATIVE MIND EPISODE 8 – SECOND-HAND SHOPPING 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Hello and welcome back to the (BA) Creative Mind series for episode eight! This week I want to talk about thrifting, charity shops, and second-hand shopping in Leeds. There is no better way of creating a unique, fashionable, and sustainable look than through second-hand sales, and I’m going to talk you through my personal favourites, from North-South Vintage to car boot sales at Leeds University Student Union and Left Bank. As well as this, I want to draw your attention to the Oxfam bookstore in Headingley, which makes for a wholesome day out with your housemates and gives you a new novel to immerse your creative minds in. 

I’m going to kick off with North-South Vintage, so allow me to set the scene: located on Hyde Park Road and sandwiched between the infamous Crispy’s takeaway (second and third year students – if you know you know) and Hyde Park Pub, North-South is one of the best (if a little pricey) vintage stores in Leeds. Now, I know that it is hardly difficult to claim this title, as thrifting in Leeds is commonly considered to be pretty poor. However, I have found many gems within the double-floored North-South selection, from funky rings, graphic tees, coats and more! The décor is retro and super cool, with a disco ball hanging from the ceiling and graffiti paintings on the walls. I have to say, the jacket department is particularly extensive (but expensive, too!) – during my last visit the variety of leather jackets was vast, and there are always cute tops hung up on display. Although I’ve not been able to purchase one yet, the items that always catch my eye are the bomber racer-style jackets – boasting a combination of hot pink, bright white and classic black graphics, one garment in particular was to die for! North-South then I would say is something to save for a treat when you have resisted the urge to buy any new clothes for a while, as prices for items such as these range from £50 upwards. Despite this, North-South does have some student-friendly priced items, such as accessories and ornaments. One of my housemates bought a set of three tall wax candles in cream, sage green and navy blue, for the affordable price of £5. They also come in peachy pinks, sunset oranges, and calming lavenders too. Top tip – use these candles to spruce up your university bedroom by sticking them in empty wine bottles and letting the wax burn down – it creates a very artistic effect. 

Sticking to the theme of clothes and accessories, another avenue to explore in second-hand shopping is vintage sales. If you attend the University of Leeds, or have friends who do to pop in with, I highly recommend visiting the union if there is a clothes sale happening. These events occur regularly, and offer both cheap, unbranded clothing as well as big brands such as The North Face. The last sale I visited was run by the company Hazaar, where my friend purchased a beautiful black top embellished with rhinestones and metallic stitching that outlined the shape of a butterfly, which cost her £15. In comparison to the likes of Urban Outfitters and other High Street retail prices, this in my opinion was a total steal. A great way to find out about these sales is to join or follow some of the Leeds University societies, such as Fashion or Art, who post regular updates on their social media. If you live more towards Hyde Park or Headingley, however, the car boot sales at Left Bank may be better suited to you. Imagine stalls and tables flooded with garments of every type, size, colour, and style – these sales have people trying items on in the middle of the floor and are always super busy. There are always great finds guaranteed by the clothes on offer, and the best part is the originality of whichever second-hand items you choose! 

Veering away from creativity in fashion but following the theme of charity shops and second-hand purchases, I want to convince you to pay a visit to the Oxfam bookstore in Headingley. Walking into a bookstore to me is like entering a different world – a universe of different stories, characters, and lives to explore. As an English Literature student, I have always loved reading, and am a firm believer that a book can consume us on a deeper level than any film or show. The Oxfam store boasts a wide selection of all sorts of genres – I have taken advantage of this educationally for my course, for simple pleasure purchases, as well as for affordable birthday presents for bookworms like myself. Above all, it is of course a great thing to buy from charity shops rather than big online retailers, so why not make a day out of it? 

If you take anything from this article, I hope it is to plan an outing with your friends, family, housemates, or partners to go thrifting and book shopping. Name a more therapeutic and artsy day out!

Written by: Ella Gale

Edited by: Uta-Tsukada Bright

Ella Gale

Leeds '24

Calling all creative enthusiasts and NP personalities… I give you the (BA) Creative Mind series, where I talk about seeing university life in Leeds through imaginative eyes. As a Bachelor of Arts student, I'm always looking for instagrammable places, unique style and artistic hobbies to fill my life in the city and on social media! Do you consider yourself a creative person, inside or outside of your degree? Take a look at my articles and uncover the inspired side of Leeds.