Life > Experiences

(BA) CREATIVE MIND: EPISODE 3 – HONEY POTTERY 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

For students, university life comes hand in hand with the process of blossoming from a teenager into a young adult. This transformation marks an exit from our childhoods, which doubles as an entrance to the world of responsibility. With academia and career paths at the forefront of our minds, it becomes easy to forget about the hobbies that once transported us to our happy places. On this basis, week three of the (BA) Creative Mind series brings to you an opportunity: to re-embrace the kid in you who likes to doodle, design, and paint purely for fun. Honey Pottery, situated in Horsforth and just a ten-minute drive from Headingley, offers this chance to travel back in time and revisit your creative childhoods.  

Allow me to paint the scene: upon walking in, the aroma of pottery acrylic swamps you, taking you back to your youth (no, there is no décor job going on, this is the fun kind of painting!). Dainty wooden tables and pastel-coloured chairs are laid out to seat groups of multiple sizes, and patterned bunting is strung along the walls. This creates the sweet effect of an English tea-party, which is added to by some chalkboard-style menus, as well as mugs for paint brush holders. Now I’m getting to the best part… the display of perfectly moulded, ‘bisque ceramic pots.’ Each piece acts as an individual blank canvas waiting to be splattered with artful inspiration. The selection ranges from kitchen crockery (mugs, plates, coasters, and bowls) to delicate trinket trays, lantern jars and animal figurines. Honey Pottery accommodates people of all ages and tastes through their product range, from young children to students and adults – after all, are we not all big kids at heart?  

My experience at Honey Pottery was both entertaining and therapeutic. Stepping inside a place like this reminded me of entering a sweet shop when I was younger, when my eyes would grow eagerly wide as I admired the rows of sugary confectionery. These powder-white pots had a similar effect of enticement to that of bon bons in a ‘pick n mix,’ and I can guarantee they would satisfy the appetite of any creative soul. A magical sensation arises in choosing a desired piece from the shelves to then make it your own. I visited Honey Pottery with a friend and painted a darling milk jug, which I continue to use as a funky flower vase to brighten up my university bedroom. Various painting methods were available to learn from the cheery staff members (I personally used an airbrush blending technique to create an ombre, sunset-like effect over my jug). If you consider yourself an artsy individual like me, you may be interested in the other skills, which involve using sponges, dotters, stamps, and stencils. Or, if you’re anything like my wonderfully vibrant friend, you may indulge in a more experimental, rather than perfectionist craft. She selected a large, flat jewellery tray, and transferred the contents of her colourfully spirited mind into her painting – this resulted in a fabulous explosion of charisma and creativity.  

The drinks menu offers both hot, comforting beverages, such as “fresh coffee, a pot of tea, and luxury hot chocolate;” alongside cold and refreshing juices. These can be enjoyed throughout the painting process and matched with a homemade baked cake if you feel like you deserve a treat (which we all do). Time slots are generous and last for about two hours, which makes the experience relaxing and excellent value for money (always a crucial factor for students). Another great thing about this activity is Honey Pottery’s flexible prices; based on the piece you choose; the experience can total a very inexpensive cost. At the end of a session, your finished creations join the queue to be fired in the kiln, before becoming available for collection roughly two weeks later. The service provided by Honey Pottery is enjoyable, convenient and a terrific way to embrace your inner creativity, with whoever you choose to bring along with you.

I would advise booking your slot in advance if you decide to visit Honey pottery, their contact details can be found on their website: honeypottery.co.uk. It is an ideal venue for children’s birthday parties, which means that larger tables are in higher demand and groups of six or more people require a deposit. However, as I have assured my Creative Mind readers already, the venue is more than suitable for adults too (Hen parties, adult-only nights, workshops, baby showers, and private hire events are all listed as possibilities to book on the Honey Pottery website). Such a versatile activity is therefore made to fit your customer needs by the team, meaning pottery painting is perfect for students, friends, celebrations, and dates!  

If you are a creative student looking for an escape from the all-too-soon grown-up life, this place is undoubtedly one to add to your Leeds bucket list. Alternatively, if you like the idea of modelling your own pottery before painting it, there is a venue which offers this, named Sunken Studio, located towards the centre of town (where classes are taught on how to work with clay and really get your hands dirty). 

If you turn to pottery to reawaken your creative side, remember to take some snaps – these places are certainly some of the most ‘instagrammable’ in Leeds and will make wholesome and unique memories.

Written by: Ella Gale

Edited by: Daisy Jeffs

Ella Gale

Leeds '24

Calling all creative enthusiasts and NP personalities… I give you the (BA) Creative Mind series, where I talk about seeing university life in Leeds through imaginative eyes. As a Bachelor of Arts student, I'm always looking for instagrammable places, unique style and artistic hobbies to fill my life in the city and on social media! Do you consider yourself a creative person, inside or outside of your degree? Take a look at my articles and uncover the inspired side of Leeds.