Life > Experiences

(BA) CREATIVE MIND: EPISODE 2 – HYDE PARK BOOK CLUB

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

From casual drinks to bar crawls, the pubs across Leeds are at the heart of every student’s social life, and the (BA) Creative Mind Series is here to highlight the trendiest of the lot. Now I know that my fellow Leeds students will, upon reading the topic of pubs, automatically dream of their dearest drinkery along the Otley Run. However, Hyde Park Book Club stands out from this crowd. Though not a part of the weekly fancy-dress fun, the establishment is undoubtedly a bucket list bar for all the creative students of Leeds: bookworms, music lovers and art appreciators get ready to join the club!

Book Club is located on Headingley Lane, a short walk from the Hyde Park housing area inhabited by second and third year students. You know it’s in sight when you catch a glimpse of its signature red exteriors and urban string lights. Wooden benches are lined up outside, which opens up a generous amount of seating for the petite pub. Despite needing to wrap up warm in the winter seasons, this section is ideal for larger groups, especially hardcore drinkers who will gain their alcohol blanket within no time! Summertime, however, will take this place to the next level – picture a perfect pint in this trendy beer garden, less than a ten-minute stroll from the park. The vibe upon entering is edgy and retro: illustrations and graphic prints decorate the wall above the bar, and botanical décor embellishes each corner. Canteen style tables are encircled by shelves packed with books that leaf through every genre, alongside a stack of board games to revisit your ‘Gen Z’ childhood entertainment. Texts are available for purchase at Book Club, so grab a volume with your next vodka-coke!

Moving on from this panorama of main room scenery, you may notice to your left a corridor, just past the snug sofas, leading to a quieter section. This room doubles as both a small greenhouse, by accommodating an array of plants pigmented from forest to ivy green, and a quieter, more intimate space to socialise. In terms of company, Hyde Park Book Club is a versatile venue, and would be perfect for both coffee catch ups and casual drinks with friends, as well as first or long-term relationship dates. The drinks menu is classic, rather than experimental – if you’re looking for a fancy cocktail with a name you can’t pronounce, or an exotically rare flavour of gin, this may not be the place for you. However, if a simple spirit-mixer or beer will float your boat, you really can’t go wrong with this pub. Food and non-alcoholic drinks are also served from breakfast through to the evening, and everything is priced at affordable, student-friendly rates. The vegan Okra fries as a small plate are a must, either to go with your main meal or as a snack if you’re a little peckish. As described, there are plenty of different areas to tick your boxes, whoever you go with, and the atmosphere is chilled and comfortable.

Book Club is so much more than just a pub. Above, I have detailed all that you will enjoy if you visit the bar on a regular day or night, however, the establishment also hosts a range of small, unique events. For example, one night I was greeted by a miniature art showing, set up on the stage area of the main room. There were beautiful paintings of various sizes and subjects, and guests were permitted to walk along the stage to get a closer look at each of the pieces. The central painting displayed a fluorescent pink, plush sofa, situated in a juxtaposing, urban city background setting. I was lucky enough to secure a front row seat, and so had the pleasure of analysing the aesthetic view for the rest of the night.

From Hyde Park Book Club to Hyde Park Art Club, as mentioned on their website, the establishment offers a selective sale of “affordable handmade Lino prints” by the Artist Jill McKnight. This complements Book Club’s hosting of her solo art launch. HPBC accessories, alongside artist merch, are also available for sale on the Book Club website. I think the support HPAC has been able to give to developing artists is fantastic; a place with such creative connections is definitely appealing to me. Live music gigs, “pay as you feel” yoga classes, and vinyl DJ workshops are also boasted across Book Club’s upcoming events calendar – the phrase “don’t judge a book by its cover” has never felt more appropriate to use than in describing this place.

Overall, as a romantic or a mate’s date, Hyde Park Book Club is artistic, inexpensive, and ideal for student entertainment. Whether it’s the creative events you’re looking for, some great music, or just a place to be social, I’d recommend it to all my Creative Mind readers!

Written by: Ella Gale

Edited by: Joanna MacInnes

Ella Gale

Leeds '24

Calling all creative enthusiasts and NP personalities… I give you the (BA) Creative Mind series, where I talk about seeing university life in Leeds through imaginative eyes. As a Bachelor of Arts student, I'm always looking for instagrammable places, unique style and artistic hobbies to fill my life in the city and on social media! Do you consider yourself a creative person, inside or outside of your degree? Take a look at my articles and uncover the inspired side of Leeds.