david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Are You Ready To Be At One With The Other Side?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Halloween vs Day of the Dead, Día de Muertos!

Reality or fantasy?

Hey girls!

Would it be bad of me to assume that you’ll be very busy over the next couple of days either trick or treating; pestering your neighbours for some some delicious candy, only to then find out they’re 10 years old? Or have you been planning a spooky Halloween party, buying lots of ghostly food and drink for your guests… to then realise you’ve totally forgotten to buy a costume that not only frightens the s**t out of your visitors, but makes you look like the sexiest chick on the planet?… We’ve all seen Mean Girls right?… I’ll leave that one with you.

Or, just maybe, like myself, year after year, you binge on Netflix’s horrors whilst guzzling down the goodies that your Mum has bought for the local trick or treaters? Hahaha!

Moving on… Halloween is an international cultural event, celebrated by millions each year. It allows communities to get together socially, through parties, food, beverages, sometimes alcohol, knocking on stranger’s doors for candy that has a journey you’re so unaware of before entering your mouth? The list goes on! We all have a chance to enjoy the spookiness of the evil, the dead and the living. Coming to think of it, how bizarre! But at the end of the day, we’re here to be entertained and entertain others with our fierce and fiery personal. 

The festivity’s format never really changes; the “innocent” kids dress up as Witches and Devils, which some would agree is an accurate representation of their day-to-day wicked personality.

Trick or treating kicks off, usually about 7pm the streets are swarming with dozens of the above, plus a million and one Pumpkin lanterns, broom sticks and tombstones in every yard, declaring past deaths or dare to enter?…  Some may try their luck in ability to obtain the tastiest, and not to mention spookiest looking sweets on the block. Whilst others may be given chocolate from the cupboard, you know the ones from last Christmas? The ones that everybody leaves at the bottom of the box because they’re not appetising in the slightest? Yeah, unfortunately for some trick or treaters, that is what can be remembered from Halloween. Amusing right!

Halloween can be and has many examples as to why it is a beyond stressful time of year! All Hallows Eve has been very much glorified and over-dramatised by the media. Shop windows are covered in “gruesome” but fascinating images depicting death and the paranormal. The radio consistently repeats Micheal Jackson’s well-known 1982 tune, Thriller, to get us in the mood for the spookiness and perhaps a party. The idiot box, usually known as the TV, showcases popular Halloween movies such as Hocus Pocus, Scary Movie and Scream; which are further advertised during ad breaks – forcing you to get involved as a consumer, purchasing all the props and costumes perfect for the festivity. Halloween is just another worldwide event, arguable a scandal that has manipulated millions of citizens over the years in buying flimsy, tacky and non justifiable crafts – just to fit in right? As if you were a part of a global community?

All Hallows’ Eve was first known as an event “dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints”. Somewhat similar to “The Day of the Dead”; often known as “Día de Muertos” amongst Spanish communities. This holiday is a yearly celebratory, occurring on the 2nd November. Día de Muertos is much more spiritual than Halloween, focusing on remembering the dead within the family and friends community. This is done through; religiously praying, creating memorable ofrendas (perhaps known as shrines), parades packed with musicians, dancers, favourite foods of the departed and not to forget, masses of the Aztec marigold plant, greatly used for ceremonial purposes due to its beauty and warmth. The Cempasúchil is also named as the flor de muertos, or “flower of the dead”.

In popular culture this festivity is showcased around the world in enchanted resorts like Disney Land. Films educate viewers about it, for instance, Fox’s 2014 and Disney Pixar’s 2017 children’s movie, “The Book of Life” and “Coco” majorly focus on the amount of love and soul put in to the event. These movies have so much culture, life and humour embedded in them, they’re totally worth a watch. Most definitely a picture for all the family.

So, what do these two events have in common?

• They both have a purpose of “bringing communities together through a shared, common understanding”.
  • The two aim to celebrate the life of the dead..
  • And, despite all the sinister connotations, it’s an enjoyable holiday for all.

Want to know more about this famous Mexican holiday, Day of the Dead and it’s Offrendas? Just click here!

I am a 21 year old student, living away from home city, Chester. I am currently in my second year of University studying Media, Communications and Culture here in Leeds. In my spare time, I enjoy travelling, as it allows me to experience many different types of cultures. I also LOVE reading horoscopes and uplifting books. Other interests involve eating, shopping and socialising. 
Senior Editor for Leeds Her Campus 2018-19