Life > Experiences

A journey to ‘Eudaimonia’: Leeds RAG Fashion Show 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

2023 was another successful year for Leeds RAG and their annual fashion show. ‘Eudaimonia’ was the title of this year’s theme, meaning a state of ‘good spirit’ and ‘well-being’. The mission of this theme was to encourage people to speak up about mental health and to demonstrate the challenging journey that many youths face today. As someone who has recently started struggling with mental health, I had concerns about how they would portray it. However, it so clearly depicted the different emotions that we experience in the journey of mental health and it truly felt like my experiences had finally been understood. Alongside the theme of mental health, the fashion show was held in aid of raising money for two mental health charities: Young Minds and Leeds Survivor-Led Crisis Service. On the final night of the fashion show, it was announced they had raised an outstanding £20,000.

The show consisted of five scenes: Sadness, Lost, Anger, Found and Hope. The transformation from a dark and sombre beginning to a colourful and bright ending provided inspiration and hope, showing it is possible to come out the other side. In between each scene, a video interview of models was projected. Each interview reflected on the themes in each scene and humanised each emotion, so much so that I was brought to tears a couple of times. 

Accompanied by a mesmerising pianist, ‘Sadness’ curated a solemn atmosphere, as the models entered a candle-lit stage displaying gothic designs and delicate black lace. The portrayal of ‘Sadness’ as a form of grief was deeply moving and left the audience in awe. ‘Sadness’ was an emotional start to the show and set the scene for the journey the audience were about to be taken on.

The transition into ‘Lost’ turned to a faster paced and futuristic creation. Connotations of numbness and being in a void-like state were created by the dark and neutrally coloured designs. The ‘post-apocalyptic’ and futuristic take on this emotion reflected the uncertainty that comes with being lost and the feeling of emptiness. As the scene came to a close and the models took their final walk, the chaos became heightened, further associating the feeling of being lost with a sense of chaos and insecurity. 

Displays of punk rock’s designs in ‘Anger’ elevated the chaos that unfolded in ‘Lost’. Modelling red and black designs, the models filled the stage with rage and perfectly personified the emotion. A warming tribute to the queen of punk herself, Vivienne Westwood, brought the whole scene together, leaving the audience with mixed emotions. 

After the interval, the scenes were transformed into optimism. Opening with a symphony of bird songs, it was like peace had returned to the stage during ‘Found’. The models graced along the stage wearing flowy, ethereal designs. ‘Found’ offered a direct contrast to the ‘Sadness’ scene both in its designs and backdrop, with flowers that were once falling, now blooming. 

‘Hope’ was easily my favourite scene; it was fun, colourful and you could tell the models were enjoying it. Tiger Edison and her jazz and soul band uplifted the mood and created a lively atmosphere as the models enthusiastically strode across the stage. The diversity of the designs reflected the beauty of a diverse world and demonstrated that hope can manifest itself in different ways. I could not stop smiling during this scene. 

Undeniably, this show would not have been possible without the hard work of the volunteers behind the scenes. After speaking to one of the model managers, Eliza Granville, it is clear a lot of time and dedication was put into making this show a success:

‘’Seeing everything come together after months of hard work was such a rewarding experience. You don’t realise how much hard work goes into each segment of the fashion show. Unfortunately, the financial crisis meant we were not able to achieve any additional funding, but despite this, we were still able to raise a huge amount and provide a spectacular and moving show that was very close to our hearts’’. 

On a final note, I am truly amazed by the dedication that went into the show and it definitely paid off. There is no doubt that the show will continue to live in my head rent free for a very long time. 

If you would like to make any donations, the committee has a Go Fund Me under the name of Leeds RAG Fashion Show 2023. Alternatively, you can donate directly to either of the charities through their websites. 

Young Minds Donation Page

Leeds Survivor-Led Crisis Service

Written by: Chloe Hill

Edited by: Amarachi Ibanga

Hi! I'm a Communication and Media student at the University of Leeds. I love to chat about music, fashion and popular culture!