A fresher’s guide to the University of Leeds. 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

I assume that if you are reading this you are a fresher, new to the University of Leeds (if not please also do carry on reading I’m sure you’ll take something from this too). Firstly welcome, I hope your first couple of days have been everything you have wanted, and you are settling in just nicely. If not, this is your one stop shop for most (I say most, being just a student myself I cannot in the right mind attempt to guide you on things I am still figuring out myself) things fresher related and how to take in the changes that are happening. 

First things first I know moving out alone can be scary but just know you are not alone. Sometimes it may feel that way, but university is all about making friends and putting yourself out there, so if you do feel that way it won’t be for long, trust me you will find your people. Living alone can be a daunting time, you gain a lot of responsibilities that you are perhaps not used to, and it might become a little overwhelming. So here are my three most important tips on living alone. Firstly, and most importantly, make sure you are taking care of yourself and your personal needs. Eating and drinking properly is the first step in keeping your mental health in the right place to process all these changes. Regarding this, it is also super important to take time for yourself and not forget about the thing you enjoy doing alone, whether that be a hobby or just lying in bed watching your favourite series, yes going out and meeting people is important, but taking care of yourself is also super crucial in surviving Uni. Secondly, stay connected- stay connected with your family and your friends back home. It’s extremely easy to disconnect from them when you’re in a new and exciting setting but when everything settles down your still going to need them and having them there will make you feel less alone. And finally keep your place as organized as you can, yes (speaking from experience) this can be difficult at times, especially if you are out all the time rushing to get ready. However, it is so much easier to navigate around if you just take an extra 5 minutes to put your things away before you go out, trust me you will thank your future self if you do. 

Making new friends is a very important aspect of university, it allows you not only to have an academic experience, but a social one too. It can seem like a daunting process but it’s so fun. Not only do you get to meet some amazing people who will potentially be in your life for a very long time, you get to meet the people who will make Leeds feel like your home. There are many ways that you can meet new people at university, and it is important that you find one that suits you, so you also have fun as well. Most of the ways to make friends are straight forward, like going to events held by societies or going to freshers’ events etc, but honestly at uni you can make friends anywhere. In the queue buying a drink, walking home from a lecture, especially in the first few weeks everyone is on the lookout for new friends so it’s bound to happen. My advice would be to put yourself out there as much as you feel comfortable, talk to as many people as possible but at the end of the day everything will work out and the people you are supposed to be friends with you will find your way together, so don’t put too much pressure on it. 

A big step from A level to university is the independence that you get while studying. This at first might seem like a good thing, in the sense that people are not getting on your back for not doing something, but speaking from experience can be deadly. It’s important that you take control of your own studies and put as much effort in as you deem is right. Although when you take into consideration that everything that you do you are paying for, then it does seem a little silly to not give it your all. So yes, the independence can seem so freeing but keep to a schedule and do everything your supposed to, you’ll thank yourself in the end. 

Backing off of this, you will need somewhere in Leeds to study, somewhere that you feel comfortable but not so much that you could fall asleep, then nothing will get done. There are many options in Leeds, spanning from on campus cafes and libraries to coffee shops and hubs around the city. It took me a while to find places where I enjoyed studying but I’m sure if you do some research and spend a couple of days looking for a place, you will find somewhere that suits you. I love the places that I go to study and I could gatekeep them however I will let you into my top three places to study in Leeds. My most favourite of all is the tiled hall café in Leeds art gallery, not only is it cosy and cute, they have electricity sockets scattered throughout so you have somewhere to plug in your devices. They also have the best scones I have ever had, so if you go to check it out definitely treat yourself. On campus there are 2 café Nero’s worth a mention firstly the one in Laidlaw library is a perfect campus location if you just have an hour to kill. Secondly there is one in the business school, across from Hyde park, this one is perfect if you want somewhere a little quieter but still want to remain on campus, and it is just a benefit that it is in a beautiful building. Lastly, and a little rouge, but trinity kitchen has some seats right next to the window, which are out of the way of the hustle and bustle of the food court. They are the perfect spot to get some work done but also a big hit for people watching and grabbing something good to eat while you study. 

Next on the agenda is Freshers week. From a third year those words sound like hell, freshers week is not fun anymore, although when I was a fresher myself it was one of the things I most looked forward too. Leeds has a great nightlife scene and I’m sure you will have a lot of fun, there is an event every night and definitely a lot for you to do. Though honestly, freshers week will not be your most fun time, or the time you make the most friends, personally every night out I’ve had after freshers week has been so much better. Not only are freshers events over priced and overcrowded they are just not as fun as a random night out half way through the year. So my advice would be, go, have fun but don’t feel the pressure to go out every night, or go if you really don’t want too. There will be plenty of time for you to have fun like that throughout all three-four years you are here, so save some money (you will definitely need it), and take it at a comfortable pace. 

Lastly, despite all the advice you hear, whether that be from your family and friends, from the university itself or even from this article, its important that you just do it yourself. University is an amazing experience but it needs to be your experience, to just do it a way you have been told too would be an injustice. Take all advice with a pinch of salt and just take every day as It comes. You’ll find it goes too fast and will be over before you know it (speaking from someone with less than a year left but feels like they just got here), don’t take it too seriously and make as many memories as possible, stay safe and have fun. 

Edited by Anna Duffell 

Just a third year politics student, still feeling like a fresher. (Uni goes too fast)