A bystander’s rant to when shows go against what viewers want them to.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

(Spoilers ahead).

The powerless agony of watching your favourite TV show kill the wrong character, choose the wrong love interest, or reveal the man behind the blog post was never who you expected, or thought conceivably possible *cough cough Dan Humphrey*. These are some of my favourite – or least favourite, depending how you want to look at it – moments of TV shows ignoring the way viewers wanted them to play out, and instead going with the way the writers of the show intended them to. 

We’ve already established the impossibility of Dan Humphrey being Gossip Girl in the 2012 series finale episode, so let’s start with the greatest teen drama ever made. Based off Cecily von Ziegesar’s novel series ‘Gossip Girl’, the show aired in 2007 and immediately became parents’ worst nightmare – hence the large appeal. Teen drinking, sex, drugs, bullying, and even death, Gossip Girl never fails to keep audiences from clicking for the next episode. However, it has also never failed to keep fans from shouting at their screens with cries of disgust, shock, and annoyance. 

To start off strong, the number one spot (in my opinion) of when writers went off-script and consequently angered audiences, was in season five, when Blair Waldorf and Dan Humphrey started dating. I don’t even need to go into detail about why this just doesn’t make sense. 

Firstly, Blair hated Dan for almost all episodes leading up to their inconceivable collusion. Secondly, how could anyone consider Blair for anyone other than her one true match, Chuck? 

Another instance of characters not ending up with who they should have in this show – this may be a controversial one, but I will stand by it – Serena and Nate. I know some people will disagree, and ask me, “what about Dan?” Well, what about him? Him and Serena were siblings at one point, they still share a half-sibling, and additionally are a toxic relationship, where they were clearly healthier as friends. 

My final point on the masterpiece that is Gossip Girl, I can surmise in one simple word: Vanessa. Be what it may, death or just her not returning to the plot, every time her face appeared on my screen, I yelled. That’s it. 

Moving on, a show I love so much – yet hate at the same time, is Gilmore Girls. Of course, this was going to be on the list of shows defying what viewers wanted to see. 

It may even be the only show where one of the things I hate most about it is their so-called loveable main character – Rory Gilmore. The hierarchy of boyfriends, in my ever so humble opinion, starts at the bottom with, and no surprise here, Dean. Following in close second is Logan, and finally, at the top where he belongs, Jess. Rory not ending up with her soulmate was making me kick and scream; yes, I can recognise his flaws and his victim complex, but he was so misunderstood, so complicated, and so my endgame for Rory. 

With that said, whoever has yet to watch Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, let me spare you. Don’t. Rory’s ending was incredibly out of character: a failing journalist? When juxtaposed with her original character – this wildly amazing writer and editor – it makes no sense. Further, she has an affair with Logan, who is now engaged to a different woman, despite turning his proposal down originally. Just when we think her character couldn’t stray further from the innocent sixteen-year-old we were first introduced to, she becomes pregnant with what we presume is Logan’s child. Although the writers are clearly trying to achieve symmetry with Lorelai’s storyline – getting pregnant and having to handle it on her own – she could’ve said yes to Logan and had a happy family. Instead, we get a repeat of an affair with an ex-boyfriend, again one who is already in a relationship with another woman.

Gossip Girl and Gilmore Girls laid the foundations for the personalities of those who watched in their adolescence – even for those who didn’t. There’s always someone out there who thinks by not watching these shows, they’re either (a): superior to everyone else, or (b): they can shape their personality around the fact of never having watched them. 

However, a new kid in school has arrived, this time in the shape of a toxic love triangle between one girl and two brothers. 

Yes, The Summer I Turned Pretty has recently aired their second season, and it has split fandoms more distinctly than any other show, with viewers strongly favouring one brother or the other (we’re not talking about the boys with fangs here, sorry people). 

Now, I think everyone can agree that the more you watch the show, the less team Belly – the main character – you become. Primarily, I’m watching the show for the beautiful portrayal of female friendship between Laurel and Susannah, but if I personally had to choose one brother for Belly to end up with, it is most definitely Conrad. Therefore, my main criticism of the show is how the second season ends with Belly choosing the WRONG brother. Also, I cannot look at Jeremiah’s Paul Hollywood eyes one more time, and I cannot unsee the cringy TikTok’s he posts. 

Despite this, there is such a beauty with TSITP’s soundtrack; it features much loved tracks such as Taylor Swift’s ‘Cruel Summer’. If you’re not a Swiftie, 1) what are you doing? And 2), don’t watch the show. It has been said to essentially be one long Taylor Swift music video – it captures the love and heartbreak of first love, and the beauty of the lyrics perfectly matches the events happening on screen. 

This quintessential summer show has everyone yearning for the third season – where things will undoubtedly kick off. But, if I can conclude one thing for Belly, Conrad, and Jeremiah it would be to look to their mothers and see how the value of friendship overcomes so much more than petty teen grudges and flings, to see the beauty of lasting love – even if it is platonic. 

This concludes what has basically been a rant about my favourite TV shows; and so, if you have read up to here, I thank you. If you agree with me, you’re welcome, for voicing all the opinions you may have wished someone would. 

If you disagree with me, no you don’t. 

Of course, all jokes aside, if you did disagree with me, you’re welcome for me spurring you towards a due rewatch of any of these shows, to solidify that your opinion is indeed correct. 

Edited by: Eve Brown

Jess Hinds

Leeds '24

I’m Jess. I love reading and films, enjoy a spicy marg and having fun with friends.