Why Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is Fantastic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was (pun intended) fantastic. Granted this is the opinion of a crazy Harry Potter lover. But I think that it also has a lot to offer those who may not be as familiar with J.K. Rowling’s wizarding universe.

And here’s why:

1. Eddie Redmayne

He is literally the cutest little nugget of a human being. He brings a certain humility and charm to every character he plays and it’s definitely a good look on Newt Scamander, the adorable Magizoologist.

2. Humor

There are a lot of jokes, usually fielded by No-Maj Jacob Kowalski. And they are jokes that you don’t have to know anything about the wizarding world to find funny. In fact, it’s Kowalski’s complete confusion over the things going on around him that make his comments hilarious.

3. The Throwback

You will get thrown back into 1920s New York and I can promise you, you won’t want to go back. The buildings, the clothing, the slang, it’s all so nostalgic of simpler times. Not that I’d know much about that (hello 90s child).

4. Suspense

I think the film is suspenseful for everyone. But it’s got to be a whole lot more of a nail biter for those people who don’t know the fate of the wizarding world and what will happen in the future.

5. Imagination

It’s always nice to be able to escape to another world. The magical creatures in this film definitely allow you to do this. With cute little buggers like the Niffler and the Demiguise, you can’t help but be sucked into this alternate reality where anything seems possible.

6. The Twists

Now, I won’t say WHAT the twists are….but I will say one of them involves Johnny Depp. That should be enough to get you to the theater.

7. The Strong Females

The ladies in this film really represent goals. There isn’t a woman in this story who couldn’t be classified as bada**. You’ve got a female President of MACUSA, a female villain, and the Goldstein sisters who represent beauty, grace, success and independence. Hermione Granger would be proud to have these ladies join her in the wizarding world fandom.

(All gifs courtesy of Giphy.com)

Brooke is a junior Communications major with an Arts Administration minor. She has a concentration in journalism and a strong interest in PR. Brooke's everyday life consists of trying to make other people feel good, drooling over One Direction, and making Harry Potter references.
Inez Timberger is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for HC Le Moyne! She is studying Communications with a strong focus in film and TV. Inez's life consists of everything pop culture and Netflix. She is also a part of LCTV, a student run TV news program, and Le Moyne Makes Movies. Inez enjoys fashion, makeup and healthy stuff.