This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

To my brother, who starts his career in high school just as I begin mine in college. To new beginnings and to all the growth and success that occurs in four years, no matter where in life you are.

1. The people you start high school with will not be the same people you end it with, thats okay.

2. As you grow and change you will loose some friends, it isn’t the end of the world, though when you find your true friends it will be world changing.

3. Be nice to Mom and Dad. You are getting older but they are too, don’t get too caught up in yourself or someone else to forget the people that really matter.

4. Don’t be apart of gossip.

5. Most teachers will give you the week’s homework ahead of time, ask them for it so you can get work done on a night you don’t have much going on. Cram sessions the same night as a hockey game rarely end well

6. Say please and thank you to your teachers, being polite will not only get you opportunities but a good reputation too.

7. Only drink from the water fountain by the gym.

8. If you plan time for your work and don’t procrastinate you wont have to miss out on the fun things (friends, dances, games) because of homework.

9. Make the most out of every year. My sophomore and junior years were filled with wishing my time away. I spent my senior year with awesome people who made the most out of every opportunity, there isn’t a single thing I would change about my senior year. Try and live every year to the fullest, don’t wait until time is running out.

10. Try new things, I spent 10 years playing lacrosse, I played soccer for my final two years of high school and got more out of that than all my years of lacrosse combined.

11. That being said, you wont always start, appreciate the sport for all of it’s aspects, the teammates, team dinners, after practice events, playing time is cool but its not everything.

12. Be polite to lunch ladies, attendance people, security officers, main office staff, having friends in all locations can defiantly serve as an advantage when you need a late slip or forgot lunch money for the day, it never hurt anyone to be nice.

13. Boost your grade with electives, don’t slack off in gym or computer apps, a 90 in either of those classes may help pick up the weight of your average where other classes fall short.

14. Stay after school with teachers, some offer review classes and others ask you to come to them with questions, be sure to do both.

15. Read the stupid book. Don’t use spark notes or ask for someone else’s summary, just read the book and you wont have to worry about any pop quizzes or assignments where you cant even name the main characters.

16. Keep snacks in your locker. Don’t forget about those snacks and let them rot over spring break… I’ve never done that… just seen it…

17. Nice guys don’t always finish last. Nice guys win in the long run.

18. Word travels fast, don’t do anything you wouldn’t want the whole school to know about.

19. Following that, a mistake isn’t the end of the world, it it just that, a mistake. Learn from each so you don’t make the same one again.

20. One C on a test wont kill you, but don’t make a habit out of it. You are smart, you just need to work hard and apply yourself, success will come from there.

21. Write down your homework so you don’t forget. Keep your work organized, in a binder or folder so nothing is missing the night before its due.

22. Don’t be the asshole that goes hard in gym and shoves over girls to win a soccer game. It’s gym. You can get a good grade and have fun without being obnoxious.

23. Don’t skip things because you think your too cool, get a group of friends together and try it out.

24. Ask questions if you don’t understand something.

25. Fill in notes are excellent, they are also an excellent way to fall asleep, try highlighting key facts and adding your own notes to stay focused.

26.Teachers will offer that you may handwrite the first draft of an essay. Always type, you’ll have to type it for the Final copy so you might as well already have it on the computer. Practicing this will make the draft the hardest part and every thing else a breeze.

27. The “Freshman Suck” cheer will come, and the seniors will get in trouble for it, but it’s just part of the experience, everyones been there and you’ll be on the other end of soon.

28. Dress nice, or let mom dress you nice.

29. Respect girls, getting a reputation as the guy who treats girls poorly is not something you want to be apart of.

30. Get involved in clubs, colleges may overlook some issues with grades if they see you are a good well rounded student. I would recommend SAAD and Character Ed (both take field trips).

31. I promise the things that seem so big wont matter in three days, let alone three years. Don’t forget that.

32. I know you don’t drink, but as you get older and do, be smart. Never ever drink and drive and make sure you don’t let anyone else make that mistake either.

33. You will change where you want to go to college so many times, just when you think its settled something will change, thats alright, it all works out in the end. If you don’t believe me know that Le Moyne was not even a school on my list until January of senior year.

34. Be honest with Mom and Dad, lying does a lot more harm than just telling them what you did, it took me a bunch of mistakes to realize that but it really is worth it to be honest.

35. Don’t wish your time away, I spent years so excited to get away, now that its here I would take it all back.

36. Be careful what you post on social media, none of it is private.

37. Do everything your best, sports, school, other activities that way when you look back you don’t miss out on something great because you didn’t put forth your all.

38.Trust that even the worst things happen for a reason.

39. Spend time at home with Mom and Dad. I’ve learned to value the nights spent home eating pizza and watching a movie. Time with the ones you love is much more important than a sleepover.

40. Even when it seems like your friends all hate you and the teachers favor other students and nothing is going right, know that you have us, a family that will love you unwaveringly through each mistake.

41. Be kind and friendly to everyone, even if they aren’t a personal friend, you never know what someone could be dealing with.

42. If a friend trusts you with information, don’t tell anyone else.

43. Bring lunch from home, it so much healthier and filling. It’s a little more work but its worth it when you have a long day and aren’t stuck with 2 freezer burned mozzarella sticks for lunch.

44. Graciously appreciate all of the advice you get but know you don’t have to follow everything.

45. Don’t start drinking coffee, caffeine addictions aren’t cute.

46. Trust your gut, in any type of situation.

47. Use your study halls wisely if you have to go to the library and sit in a corner with headphones in to focus then do it but it is so much better to get your work done in school than at home.

48. Ask mom to proof read your essays, you really wouldn’t believe how many times you can spell the same word wrong over the course of six pages but somehow you do it and mom catches it before your teacher.

49. HAVE FUN.

50. Enjoy these next four years, you are not better than high school, everyone goes through it and everyone should. You will change and grow so much through these years. Your time to be an adult its going to come at some point, don’t wish the time you have as a kid with minimal responsibilities away. Theres a time and place for everything and now is your time for high school, make the most out of it, the years go by so fast. Everyone will tell you how quickly the years go but take it from someone who didn’t listen, the time that your walking the stage will come before you know it. I love you and cant wait to see all the things you accomplish in school. Make us proud.

New York Inhabitant, Photo Taker, Yogi, Monogram Lover, Plant Eater, Fashion Devotee, Seasonal Pumpkin Spice Addict.
Inez Timberger is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for HC Le Moyne! She is studying Communications with a strong focus in film and TV. Inez's life consists of everything pop culture and Netflix. She is also a part of LCTV, a student run TV news program, and Le Moyne Makes Movies. Inez enjoys fashion, makeup and healthy stuff.