An Ode to Cats: The Furry Friends We Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

I always knew cats were the embodiment of happiness. But it wasn’t until recently, when I lost my cat of 18 years, that I realized just how much joy they bring to our lives. After three catless months and a lot of lonely moments, I finally got a kitten and am rediscovering the smiles that had faded. Here are a few reasons why I am, and why you should be, thankful for cats.

Their noses

Not sure what it is, but there is something so irresistibly cute about cat noses. They’re all wet and little and begging to be kissed. As a general rule, most cats don’t like to have their noses touched. So it’s extremely exciting when you find one who lets it happen and makes you feel special. 

Their patty-paws

A friend who didn’t have much exposure to cats growing up recently told me that their paws were the softest thing he had ever felt (all with an incredible grin on his face). Those teeny tiny pads on the bottom of their paws almost make you forget the sharp monstrosities they conceal. Until they come jutting out towards your feet from underneath a doorway. But at that point, you’re laughing too much at their playfulness to mind the pain. 

Purring
Did you know that cats actually use the frequency of their purr to improve bone density and healing? Look it up if you’re a non-believer. But I think this fact is just another reason to love cats. Who wouldn’t want to be able to fix their own bones? And to do it in such a precious sounding manner? 

Hunting abilities
If you’ve never seen a cat go after a toy or bug, then this might not make sense to you. But it is honestly one of the funniest and cutest things ever to watch them crouch down low and squiggle their tiny hineys. Then you wait to see just how much butt shaking they feel is necessary to prepare themselves for the pounce. It’s usually much more than you’d think necessary. This ability to hunt well also really comes in handy for those of us who are afraid of creepy crawlies. 

Meowing
Cats don’t communicate with each other by meowing. This is a language they have created for communicating with their humans and each cat/owner combination has their own meaningful meows. In 2003, a study by Cornell researchers showed that when played snippets of cats meowing, it was only their owners who could decipher what the meow intended to convey. If you ask me, there is no bond more special than that. 

These are just a few of the big reasons. The list could go on forever. So thank you, cats, for being so interesting and cute that everyone who knows you can’t help but be happy when you’re around.

Brooke is a junior Communications major with an Arts Administration minor. She has a concentration in journalism and a strong interest in PR. Brooke's everyday life consists of trying to make other people feel good, drooling over One Direction, and making Harry Potter references.
Songwriter. Lover of music, food, and man buns.