Luke Baker ’12 Co-Founder of Fermata Nowhere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Hometown
:
Weedsport, NY

Major/Minor & Why:
Communications Major concentrating in Video Production, minor in Music. I’m a huge movie buff so I figured why not make my own? I’m actually working on my first short drama right now. It’ll screen on campus in December. My music minor is pretty obvious; I love to sing. Music can do much more than purely words.

What other things are you involved in on campus:
I’m the captain of the Men’s Swim Team here at Le Moyne, President of Singers, Co-Pres/Founder of Fermata Nowhere and officer of the new Music Club.

Where did the idea for Fermata Nowhere begin?
I was in a Singer’s rehearsal my sophomore year and somehow a cappella music got stuck in my head. I think there was a part of a song that we were practicing without accompaniment and it sounded really nice. So I turned to my friend and fellow tenor Steph Whittemore and said, “Why don’t we have an a cappella group here?” She didn’t know why. So we figured why not start one. And we did!

Who else on campus is involved (profs, etc)?
Our moderator is Jocelyn Rauch, Director of Singers and Chamber Choir. She’s the best. If we have a problem we can always go to her and she’ll help us out.

Why do you think it’s important for Le Moyne to have Fermata Nowhere?
I think that first and foremost, Fermata Nowhere is a student group. Created by students, run by students. When we’re planning a concert we always try and think what will get our classmate to come, what will they be able to connect to. The entire music program at Le Moyne is great, but having a group that’s just a bunch of students makes for a different kind of show.

What does the group represent to you?
This is going to sound so cheesy. But I think it’s almost an American dream type group. What started as an idea from two students turned into an actual group that’s known around campus and around the community. We have plenty of obstacles that get in our way, but we always seem to persevere.  

Is there a group you sound like/emulate?
Our group will turn 2 years old in November, so I think we’re still finding a sound that’s distinctly us, but all 13 members bring a different style to the group. It’s great.

What kind of music do you sing?
We always say, if you find music for it, we’ll sing it. It’s really hard to find a cappella sheet music for a co-ed group. We love to have fun, but we always like a challenge. This semester we’re working on a few difficult numbers, but they’re quickly coming together.

What do you do for fun/to relax?
I love to hike, kayak, play in the snow. I’m pretty active. If I have a few hours to myself though, you’ll probably find me wrapped in a blanket watching a movie or having a few drinks with friends.

What are your future plans after Le Moyne?
Oh geez. I feel so old. I’d really like to get into filmmaking. Maybe eventually become a producer or director. But we’ll have to see where the wind carries me.

Whats a quote/motto you live by?
I’m a big fan of “The Old Man and the Sea”. Hemingway wrote, “A man can be destroyed, but not defeated.”  I know life is going to throw me some curve balls. Sometimes life can get you down, but you just have to get up, dust yourself off and keep on going.

Ivanna Abreu is a junior Communications major at Le Moyne College with a concentration in Advertising and minors in English and Creative Writing. She was born in the Dominican Republic, but was raised in the Bronx, NY. One of her greatest passions in life is the art of communication and how people relate and communicate with each other. Living in New York City only fostered this passion because her whole life she has been surrounded by different cultures and people. Ivanna enjoys writing and reading, specifically about human interest stories. She prides herself in having a great work ethic and unlike some she enjoys constantly being on the move and being busy. In her hands you will always find either her iPhone or coffee (or on a good day both). She also loves all things comedy and is always trying to make someone laugh.