Lisa Osborne Ross, Executive Vice President of Ogilvy Washington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

The LMC Communications Department invited Lisa Osborne Ross, executive vice president at Ogilvy Washington, to come and share some insight. During her three-day stay, Ross presented in many communications classes, where she interacted with students and gave them advice for their future in the communications field.

During her “Doing Well by Doing Good” presentation on Tuesday night, she left us with these great tips:

1. Be impeccable with your word: If you tell someone you will call them, make sure to call them. Keep your promises so that people know you are serious and can trust you.
  2. Don’t make assumptions:  Don’t judge a book by its cover. Make sure to get to know someone before stereotyping them because of how they look, where they come from, etc.
  3. Don’t take it personally (unless you should): You are going to come across many people that may not rub you the right way. If you get denied something from someone, or receive critique about something you have done, do not take it personally. Chances are they weren’t meant to be taken that way.
  4. Always do your best: Anything that you want badly will require hard work and dedication. If you are applying for a job, make sure to give that job application your all. If you do not get it, at least you know you tried your best. Don’t sell yourself short.
  5. Distinguish yourself/be outstanding: Don’t be afraid to broadcast your talents. There is something that makes you unique and one of a kind, so show it! Be original.
  6. Show value:  You have many strengths. When applying for a job, make sure to let them know what you can do for them.
  7. Make friends (with people who aren’t your friends) and leverage your relationships: Get out of your comfort zone and meet someone new. You never know what that person can do for you. When looking for a job, reach out to your alumni office. Alumni will always be willing to help you out.
  8. Each one/teach one: You will be presented with many great opportunities in life where you will learn many things you never thought you would. Make sure to pass that knowledge on.
  9. Be present: When conversing, make sure to make eye contact and let the other party know you are truly interested in what they are saying. You might miss out on something very important if you are too busy thinking about something else.
  10. Discern where God wants U 2 go: God has a plan for each and every one of us. Graduating college can be very scary, especially when you have no idea where you will be a year after graduation. Be patient, and let God guide you.

These 10 tips resonated well in the room filled with professors and students. Ross, who is in charge of the Cause Advocacy Group at Ogilvy Washington, takes pride in the work that she does and is happy that she can reach out to young, ambitious students aspiring to be great professionals one day.

Omairys, a born and raised New York City gal of the Dominican descent, is a motivated Communications/Advertising major, with a minor in English. She does not know what she will do with her Communications degree after graduation but is ambitious enough to hope it will be something promising, as this field has been her passion for as long as she could remember. She is actively involved on campus, as she is President of El Progreso, a multicultural organization that strives to raise awareness of the Latino community. She loves to travel: she has traveled to Kenya to work at The Nyumbani Program and will be interning at our nation's capital her senior year! She is hard working, and excited to bring change to her campus---Le Moyne.