Katherine Schantz ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Hometown?

I do not have a hometown; my dad is military so I grew up moving every couple of years. The longest place I have lived was Stuttgart, Germany.

Other things/clubs your involved in ?
I am a part of Pre-Health Society, Biology Club, Ignation Ignite, Faith Sharing, just to name a few.

Ways your involved in Campus Min (what you do, your work study, etc)
I am very involved in Campus Ministry. I am a work study, dog sitter, I help proof read things, I help pick out music, I am a sacristan, I help with RCIA, I am a leader of Faith Sharing. To be honest I pretty much live in Campus Ministry.

What do you think the biggest misconception is about Campus Min?

That it is uber Catholic and that you have to be religious to go. There is never a dull moment in Campus Ministry. There is always something going on. It is a very fun place to go and just relax, do homework, eat candy, hang out with some amazing people, and a fun loving dog. 

Explain what Kairos is?

It is hard to explain, but ultimately, it is an awesome retreat where you are given the opportunity to ask yourself questions. It allows you for one weekend to think and to contemplate things that are going on with your life. 

Who else is leading/involved/how many students are attending?
The other leaders of Kairos are Jess Urso, Julia Grant, Courtney Phoenix, Anil DaCosta, Andrew ‘Mac’ Mackenzie, Alex Vernetti, and Mike Alcala. And there are currently 30 students attending Kairos.

I’m under the impression this is Le Moynes first retreat like this but all other Jesuit colleges have it. Where did this initiative come from?
The initiative actually came from a group of guys (especially Mac Mackenzie) who attended Jesuit High Schools and had previously attended a Kairos. They wondered why there was not one here, when other colleges and high schools have one. So Jay Versosa, who was the campus minister in charge of retreats at the time, got a rag tag group together and we all travelled in a van for eight hours to Fairfield University in Connecticut where we attended their Kairos and started one here.

What do you do to relax?
In order to relax I put on some music and I dance around my room singing.

Celebrity crush
I am a complete hockey fanatic so my celebrity crushes have to be Sidney Crosby and James Neal.

Dream vacation spot?
As cheesey as it sounds I would love to go to Disney World or Disney Land. I am not picky. I have never been and have wanted to go for years. 

Ivanna Abreu is a junior Communications major at Le Moyne College with a concentration in Advertising and minors in English and Creative Writing. She was born in the Dominican Republic, but was raised in the Bronx, NY. One of her greatest passions in life is the art of communication and how people relate and communicate with each other. Living in New York City only fostered this passion because her whole life she has been surrounded by different cultures and people. Ivanna enjoys writing and reading, specifically about human interest stories. She prides herself in having a great work ethic and unlike some she enjoys constantly being on the move and being busy. In her hands you will always find either her iPhone or coffee (or on a good day both). She also loves all things comedy and is always trying to make someone laugh.