Eco-Chic: Recycling Old Phones!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Hello there! As most technologically advanced people know Apple Inc. has just released their newest phone, the iPhone 5! Cell phones are incredibly important in today’s society. I mean it’s one of our main ways of communication! Have you ever heard of Nomophobia? It’s the fear of being without your mobile phone. Think about going one day without your cellphone. It would be challenging, right?

Anyways there’s a lot of ‘buzz’ going on about the iPhone 5. As any other new electronic device would generate. A lot of people are officially joining the “Apple club” as they make the switch to the iPhone. When it comes to new technology people decide that it’s time to throw away their old products and buy the newly advanced ones.

Unfortunately when people go out to purchase a new cellphone they forget to take care of something very important, they’re old phones! Ladies I cannot stress this enough. Recycling your old phone is so important when it comes to helping out the environment.

Americans throw away about 100-125 million cellphones each year. All of these phones end up going into our landfills. Not only are these phones helping to crowd the landfills, but they’re also releasing toxins into our air and groundwater. These substances are called Persistent, Bio accumulative and Toxic Chemicals (PBTs). A lot of people forget to realize that electronic trash is incredibly damaging to the environment! You wouldn’t think that such a small device could emit such harm, but there is strength in numbers. With millions of cell phones laying in landfills, we are only hurting ourselves when we do not recycle.

It is estimated that only 10% of cellphones are recycled each year. They have such a fast replacement cycle and therefore it is important not to throw them away. We can make a difference ladies! If you’re considering purchasing the new iPhone 5 or any other new phone on the market remember to take care of your old ones. It is so important not only for the environment, but for your own health as well.

Toxins are detrimental for beauty. We need to maintain our good health and helping the environment and stripping the world of toxins can do just that. Remember that everything you recycle makes a difference no matter how small. Go ahead and purchase new electronics! Just remember to take care of them when you’re ready to advance to the next generation. Take care lovelies.

Junior Communications Major with a concentration in Journalism. Minors in Creative Writing, Art, English, and Business.