Eco-Chic: Recycling Old Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Let’s start this week off with an environmental saying that everyone has heard before.  Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle!  These three words are extremely important when it comes to helping out the environment.  There are small deeds that can be done in order to make an impact.  A lot of people forget these simple ways to make a difference!  One of them is to reuse and recycle old clothes.  I’ll be telling you ladies the benefits of doing this and also ways to do so.   

Only 25% of textiles are recycled each year.  Reusing and recycling these textiles are extremely important.  It is a growing problem that needs to stop.  Clothes, belts, shoes, stuffed animals, etc. take up a ton of space in landfills.  In fact textiles make up 12% of landfill sites.  To make matters worst most of these discarded garments are synthetic so therefore they do not decompose. Woolen garments are able to decompose, but in this process they create methane.  Methane is a contributor to global warming.  Uh oh!

95% of all textiles are recyclable.  When clothing is not recycled it means that more has to be produced and transported, resulting in more unnecessary pollution.  Being worried about this increasing problem is a good thing!  It drives you to do something and make a change.  You and your old jeans can make a difference!  With recycling or reusing you’re conserving raw materials.  Overall this lightens the load for the Earth, which in the end benefits everyone who inhabits it. 

There are many ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle your old textiles!  For starters you can donate your clothes to local charities or Goodwill.  There are even stores out there who will pay for “used” or “gently used” clothes.  Handing down your ill-fitting blouse from high school to a younger sibling is great as well!  Hand-me-downs are always a good way to reuse your clothes.  If you’re feeling crafty go ahead and up cycle an old t-shirt or sweater and make something completely new!  For example take that t-shirt and cut/tie it up into a brand new tank top.  Get creative and throw some bleach onto it to give it that splattered look.

There are also many textile recyclers all over the country.  If your clothes are so worn out that even the Salvation Army or Goodwill won’t take them, then look up a local recycler in your area. 

It is very important to take care of the clothes and accessories that we do not care for anymore.  It’s very simple to donate or hand your clothes down!  With reusing and recycling textiles the environment benefits in great ways.  I know a lot of you ladies went out and bought costumes for Halloweekend.  Don’t throw them away!  I’m sure that it cost you a bit of money and it would be a complete waste.  Consider saving your costumes for years to come.  Your friends can wear them or you can have them as back-ups.  If you want them out of sight remember to not trash them!  Donate so that others can enjoy them for a cheap price.  Remember recycling textiles can never go out of fashion!

Stay green and glamorous! 

Junior Communications Major with a concentration in Journalism. Minors in Creative Writing, Art, English, and Business.