Eco-Chic: Environmental Factors That Affect Your Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Hey ladies! So many of us know that the skin is the largest organ of the human body and therefore it is important to know what affects it. Everyday you all wake up in the morning and stand in front of the mirror looking directly at your face. We all try to keep our skin looking healthy and radiant but sometimes the environment can make that difficult. The environment is wonderful in so many ways; I mean it is what provides life itself! We need to be aware of certain elements though, in order to keep our precious skin in tip-top shape.

First off it is important to realize that a lot of the planet’s air has a lot of pollution. Clearly the Earth is not currently at its healthiest state. This pollution is invisible which makes it cunningly sneaky. Air pollution affects your skin by allowing more bacteria to collect on the face, which clogs pores and causes acne. Your skin produces its own protection when the oil glands create natural oils. Unfortunately air pollution can interfere with this natural process and break down the skin’s oils! There are studies that show that this pollution can cause so much damage to the skin that it inhibits the natural process of repairing itself. The question is how can I avoid this pollution? Well sadly air pollution is quite difficult to avoid. All you need to do is remember to wash your face at the end of the day so that all of the bacteria can be removed as soon as possible. It is also very important to always moisturize after cleansing. No one wants to have dry and flakey skin … no way!

Sunlight is also very important when it comes to sustaining life. When it comes to getting your daily dose of vitamin-D the sun is most definitely your easiest source. On the other hand the sun can be harmful when you spend too much time under its incredibly strong rays. Whether it’s a tan or sunburn your skin has been damaged, which can cause premature aging. Now who would ever want that?! Ultraviolet light breaks down your skin’s elastin and collagen causing wrinkles and sagging. It is also very possibly to develop brown spots from the sun’s rays as they over stimulate pigment cells. The worst-case scenario is skin cancer. Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. Avoid spending too much time in the sun where you leave your face unprotected
. Next time you ladies are out in the sun do not forget to wear sunscreen with at least SPF 15. There are also many moisturizers as well as foundations on the market which have SPF 15 and up already in it. If you purchase skin-protecting face products you don’t even have to think twice about sun damage!

It is important to remember to take care of your skin daily. You will be incredibly grateful that you did in the years to come! Be aware of environmental factors and keep your skin looking lovely and healthy. Until next time LMC!

Junior Communications Major with a concentration in Journalism. Minors in Creative Writing, Art, English, and Business.