Domestic Abroad-Washington DC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Hello collegiettes!

The semester is quickly coming to an end and ironically, all I can do is wish to go back to the beginning! I was not able to update you all on my experience in DC on a weekly basis, as promised, but I will try my best to wrap it up nicely: THE BEST EXPERIENCE EVER!

These past three months, I had the opportunity to work a full-time job in the industry I hope to work for, took on responsibilities that I believe have made me more mature, have gained some life-time friends, and have created memories that I do not think can compare to any other. I have a week and a half left in DC and all I can think about is wanting to stay. If only it were that easy.

I was a bit hesitant in being part of The Washington Center because I did not know what to expect. But, it has indeed been one of the best decisions I have made in my college career. With this experience, I have concluded that I want to continue pursuing a career in advertising and public relations, but I want to also include the government. I do not know how, but I know I want to work on The Hill one day. I wouldn’t mind being the communications director for a congressman in the future!

From sharing jokes with Honorable Congressman Jose Serrano from the Bronx, and discussing the decrease in pell grants for college students in Honorable Senator Schumer from New York’s office, I think I made the best of my experience here.

I think opportunities like these should not be taken for granted. As I was told the first day in orientation, this has indeed been a life-changing experience. At this point in my life—-a senior in college about to graduate and enter the “real world”, this internship experience has allowed me to set goals for my future and analyze where exactly I would like to be in the next 5 years.

Here are a few photos to sum up my experience in DC:   

Honorable Pedro Pierluisi’s Puerto Rico’s Night in Congress

WhyTuesday?’s panel for fixing the voting system w/ Meghan McCain

White House tour

Honorable Senator Schumer from New York’s office

What I will miss the most: The Hill

The Washington Center is still accepting applications through December 15. Take advantage and apply!

Omairys, a born and raised New York City gal of the Dominican descent, is a motivated Communications/Advertising major, with a minor in English. She does not know what she will do with her Communications degree after graduation but is ambitious enough to hope it will be something promising, as this field has been her passion for as long as she could remember. She is actively involved on campus, as she is President of El Progreso, a multicultural organization that strives to raise awareness of the Latino community. She loves to travel: she has traveled to Kenya to work at The Nyumbani Program and will be interning at our nation's capital her senior year! She is hard working, and excited to bring change to her campus---Le Moyne.