This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Alright. Listen up ladies! It’s around Halloween. My favorite time of year and that means it’s time for all the costume parties to be in full effect. Now, not everyone has $50 or $60 bucks to spend on a costume for one night out of the year. Which is true. And sometimes you get invited to that one party extra last minute and the only costume in your closet is the one from last year that everyone is wearing this year. Whatever the case may be, your clothes can be a costume! Don’t sweat it. If you have a little bit of make-up and a creative mind, your clothes can be the costume in Party City next year. So here’s FIVE costumes you can do at home (With or without some money spending)

1. Vampling:

Vamplings are always easy to do and for those who are not quite sure what a vampling is, it’s a person who has just been bitten in the change of becoming a vampire or newly turned vampire. With all the shows and movies out, it’s easy to do your own mix of it. Grab your make up and do something that really emphasizes your eyes. Light skin girls, go for something really dark, and darker skin ladies, you can go dark with hints of light brown or hazels. Shimmers are great for this! Grab a pair of jeans or skinnies, or a skirt, whichever one you think shows off your legs the best. Vampires and vampling are sexy creatures, dress as sexy as you like that is COMFORTABLE to you. Anything in your closet. Run to the store, any store and grab some fake blood or red dye and drip it down your neck. You can draw two dots right on your neck (or not) with an eyeliner pencil, marker, your choice. If you want, you can buy colored contacts almost anywhere for $25-$50 bucks. I bought a pair for $20. Make them creepy stuff. Red or electric blues. Something unnatural. Some lipstick and voilà! You’re a vampling without really spending a dime. It’s all by choice.

1. Prom Reject

I know this sounds weird but think about it, who’s ever really done something like this? You have nerd, you have bride (corpse bride and all this other crap) but what Party City or Spirit Halloween has prom reject? Maybe Carrie but I’m doing something more cutsy for you and less gory. Take your prom dress, or little black dress (I know you have one) and punk it out! Weak fish net stocks, bracelets. Take the nicest dress (that you want to wear comfortably) and throw all the neon and weird stuff you want to. Get a piece of paper, write “Prom?” And two check boxes with yes and no and put multiple checks in the no box with different colors, different ways. Uses check marks, “x” marks. Do it up ‘til the box isn’t even visible and safety pin it to your chest or stomach so everyone can see. Do your make up how you please, you can be the prom reject everyone should’ve said yes to or the reject that everyone is grateful they didn’t bring and have a broken tiara in your hair. (Tiaras or any kind are maybe $5 a pop if  this is the route you choose to go in.)

1. A Celebrity:

The one stigma I hated about Halloween was this idea that you have to buy your costume in order to dress like a celebrity. WRONG! You can use your own clothes to dress up as a celebrity because you can put your own twist on it. It happens and can be done. Just Google the celebrity you’re going for and see what clothes match up. It sounds easier said than done but trust me, IT CAN BE DONE!

1. Irony Costumes or Play on Word Costumes

These are the CORNIEST costumes ever but also clever, funny and easy to do. People do things like a serial killer and walk around with a plastic knife through a cereal box making them a “cereal killer” or an umbrella with stuffed animals stuck to it to say, “It’s raining cats and dogs.” These types of ideas are all over the internet and when in doubt, you can google it out.

Last but not least…

1. Twins:

Although this calls for another person, a lot of the time ,no one wants to go out on Halloween alone so just dress up with one of your friends. Pick the shirt/ shirt color you want, jeans, shoes, hairstyle and be twins. It’s easy and you and your friend can have fun with pretending you’re truly twins and speaking at the same time, completing each other’s sentences. Go beyond the costume and commit to the character.

SPARE IDEA:

I know I said 5 but I figured out something else. If you just want to mess around and have a little bit of fun, party or not, dress like a guy. How many times have you thought about being a guy? Plenty I’m sure. If not, ok. But October is the perfect way to figure out how without looking weird. It’s October! HALLOWEEN! Grab your boyfriend’s or your guy friend’s clothes and do it up. Don’t half it buy having your hair done and looking all pretty. Commit! Use some make up to take away your feminine features, try your best to hide your boobs. (I know that is really hard for those well-endowed. I’m not saying give up on this idea, but maybe slouching or hunching will help you out.) Who knows. Maybe you’ll end up getting some numbers and if you do, keep it cool. Stay in character. Just say you’re taken.

So there it is! Five do it yourself costumes for this Halloween season. So when in doubt, put the bunny and cat ears away! You have so much in the world to inspire millions of costumes and you only need one. Hope Halloween is fun and safe and that these ideas work for you. Happy Halloween!

KC Wilson

Le Moyne

Asiana Smith is a Communications Major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Sociology.