Campus Celebrity: Audrey Kate Ordway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Campus Celeb: Audrey Kate Ordway

Year: Junior

Hometown: Dryden, NY

Junior, Audrey Kate Ordway exudes confidence and spreads kindness wherever she goes, although only 20 years old she has already earned her certification as a Registered Nurse, this weeks Campus Celeb shares her insight into the profession and provides sage advice for anyone who may be working towards a similar goal!

What inspired you to become a nurse?

Honestly the boundless opportunity in the nursing field. You have the chance to meet so many new people–whether it be patients or other healthcare professionals; you are ALWAYS learning something new everyday, and can go in any direction in the nursing field.

What was the most challenging part about becoming a nurse?

The most challenging thing about becoming a nurse would probably be nursing school.  But it’s not just about performing well and acing tests, it’s being able to adjust yourself to seeing things people typically don’t see everyday–like seeing a family cry over a loved one on comfort care and knowing the right words to say or for a patient who is 30 years old and is under your care because she just had a double mastectomy and making her feel comfortable with herself again.  Actions and words are equally loud.  Therapeutic communication is a skill that can never be perfected because not everyone’s situation is absolutely identical.

What is the most rewarding part about working as a nurse?

This is a tough one.  In my still young experience as a nurse I think the most rewarding thing is after a long 12-hour shift and a patient hadn’t had a good day or night but at the end of your shift they tell you, “I feel so much better.  Thank you for everything.” That is so reassuring and confidence building that it’s a reminder that “wow, I CAN help people heal”.

What do you see yourself doing in about 10 years?

Hmmm wherever life takes me! I have lots of dreams/goals at the moment (travel nursing, becoming a NP…). Like I said before, there are so many opportunities in nursing that you can go anywhere.  My ultimate dream job is to become a diabetes educator after checking out several different areas of nursing… so definitely on the pathway to achieving that goal is where I see myself in ten years.

What is the best piece of advice you could give to current nursing students, or anyone considering a career in the medical field?

Don’t let nursing school be your whole life while you’re working towards becoming a RN.  You will go crazy and the profession won’t be as enjoyable for you.  Also, be PATIENT once you start your first job as a RN.  You will not be a perfect and all-knowing nurse right away. You will have good shifts and bad shifts.  Also, ask questions.  And continue to ask questions.  You can never know too much and it’s good to keep learning.  

Hobbies?

I love the outdoors–anything to do with being outside. Its my happy place!

Favorite Snacks?

Trail mix. Apples or bananas mixed with my homemade peanut butter, but really any food, because food is heavenly and brings people together.

What are some things you do to relax or de-stress?

Reading a good book or cleaning!

Asiana Smith is a Communications Major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Sociology.