Campus Celeb: Colleen Fagan 15′

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.
Hometown: Milford, PA
Class Year: 2015
Major: B.S. Biology, molecular biology concentration; Math, physics, chemistry, philosophy minors
Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Clubs affiliated with: Student Government Association President, Outing Club, Nelligan RA, Student Ambassador

What do you love about being president of SGA? How’s the staff?
– My favorite part about SGA this year has to be the excitement within our amazing group of students we have on board! We have a lot of goals and ideas for this school year that could really bring some positive improvement to campus and we wouldn’t be able to do any of it without the current staff. I really enjoy working with not only our SGA members, but also the Le Moyne student organizations, staff, faculty, administration and Board members. The support they give students makes being the president of SGA one of my favorite parts of being here. I really enjoy speaking with students and getting their feedback about Le Moyne and what they wish to see, since our job is to relay that information and make those changes. 

What do you hope to do on campus? Any upcoming events?
– So far this year, we started off working on getting SGA advertised better with the annual pep rally back in August and with hosting events for both commuters and residential students to get to know SGA. We have some big ideas that we are currently working on, such as the common hour initiative, various green initiative ideas, and changing up the internal structure of SGA  to be a more efficient organization. We are trying to reach out to more faculty, staff, and student organization presidents to gain better feedback from students. We have an open discussion with SGA planned later this month for students to come and chat with us about anything they would like, and we have the annual Roll Call event on November 11th(see fliers!).

Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/LMCSGA, and Instagram and Twitter @lemoyneSGA for more events! (;

Conflicts you encountered and overcome successful as president?
– I would say so far, the biggest conflict I’ve encountered as president is getting student feedback and involvement- not a very big shock, though. In my opinion, many students don’t know how lucky they are to be at such a small, tight-knit school where the opportunities are endless. Being at Le Moyne allows for an incredible amount of opportunities to attend on campus events and seminars, off campus events, speak with faculty and administration, obtain your dream internship, and the list goes on! I struggle with the fact that there are plenty of things students are not happy with on campus in whatever capacity, yet do not take the initiative to change or seek it- or, at the very least, talk to someone about it! It’s extremely easy to simply voice your concern to one person, and from there an answer can be given or a solution proposed. As a whole SGA this year, we are trying to become more transparent and easy to approach for the student body in order to make this campus a better place for everyone.

How do you keep things in check (or balanced)?
– Whoever said senior year was easy was lying.. Hahaha it’s been an extremely busy semester so far, but the good part is that I’ve been enjoying everything I’m involved with this year! I have to stay very organized and balanced with my school work, SGA, RA life, figuring out post-graduation plans, and a social senior life (thank goodness for the calendar app on my phone!). I’m pretty meticulous about planning out each day with what I have to accomplish, and in order to keep my sanity I usually take lunch breaks with my fellow RA’s and plan something fun to do on the weekend, such as Outing Club events, LSPB events, or taking trips to new places! I have great support from my family, friends, RAs, and SGA members that helps to keep me on task.

Any words you want to say to your fellow dolphins?
– Please don’t ever hesitate to voice your concerns to any SGA member! We truly are here in order to be your liaison between students and administration, and we want to make this campus the most enjoyable and comfortable for everyone. Don’t be afraid to speak up for fear we won’t listen or your thoughts won’t be received. Also, please take advantage of every and any opportunity here! There is so much here for you if you simply open your eyes and ask. Attend any seminar or speaker that interests you in the slightest, you’d be pleasantly surprised where it could take you. Don’t be afraid to join a club, class, retreat, trip, etc. you never thought you would. Simply ask someone for help or guidance on how to get an internship or job, or if there are other options for you. The worst someone could say is no, and you’re no worse off than you were beforehand. As a senior, it pains me to see underclassmen complaining about “how boring” Le Moyne is, or how there is nothing here for them- take a look around, read your emails, talk to people, attend events and you’d be surprised at the amount of vast and far reaching opportunities here for you. This is a fantastic place to be.

Hobbies?
– Nerdy science stuff
– Arts & crafts from Pinterest
– Watching movies (when I have the chance!)
– Wine tasting
– Playing with all of the puppies and dogs ever
– Yoga
– Traveling, adventuring and exploring new cities, restaurants, places, towns, etc!
– Hiking and any outdoor activity
– Visiting my family and attending my brothers’ sports games whenever possible