This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Meet Cameron Hill, a junior Communications major with a strong interest in film. 

Where does your love of filmmaking come from?

Well I decided I wanted to be a filmmaker at around age twelve. I saw the documentary Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy or in short how Star Wars was made and immediately was like ‘I want to do what George Lucas does.’ Before that I really didn’t know what went into making a film, and when I found out it was like magic. I mean being able to create your own universe and control every aspect from the planet your story is set in to your character’s haircut is so cool. I guess really it’s something I’ve found that I’m actually really good at. Sure we are all good at a lot of things but this is something I would be happy making a living at. I really can’t see myself doing anything else, maybe teaching filmmaking to students? Overall I love filmmaking because it’s so diverse in the jobs that it offers and I’d be happy with any of them. If I had to sum it up, my love for filmmaking is fueled by my need to tell stories.

Are you currently working on any projects?

I’m always working on something. Right now I’m writing a feature script, it’s a passion project that I’ve been working with for the past five and a half years. I recently wrapped on my submission to this year’s Doritos Crash the Super Bowl contest and it was a blast. Beyond that I’m working with the Communications Department on making Le Moyne’s second student made film. Business Affairs that premiered last year was the first.

Where can someone go to see your work?

I currently have a youtube channel and that is where I put most of my work. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPN1VXXXHibFFvq70sY12NA

What is the plan after graduation?

Definitely grad school to get my Masters of Fine Arts. For me this will really help hone my skills and build a good network with like-minded people because that’s what I will benefit from most. Beyond that I’ll see where life takes me. I really enjoyed working on my submission to the Doritos Super Bowl contest so I could definitely see myself making commercials in the future.

Do you have any tips for new filmmakers?

Make stuff and never stop. This is where your skill comes from, repetition and more importantly learning from your mistakes now. Be dedicated and give 100% in everything you do no matter how small the task. It will help show others you care about any task that’s handed to you and when you need to ask for that letter of recommendation, this will help separate you from everyone else. Be persistent. No one in this industry or any other will hire someone who walks away after the first rejection. You may feel like you’re nagging and you might be, but persistence shows you have the initiative to go out and find opportunity not sit and wait for it to come to you (you’ll be waiting forever). Have fun! This may sound cliché but in this line of work, if you don’t learn to love the stress of working on a 90 degree day in a swamp with hundreds of mosquitoes flying around you while shouting action, then you should get out now while you still can (yes that really happened to me). Lastly thank those around you for putting up with you. Filmmaking is a collaborative art form, you can’t make it alone (trust me). You need to appreciate and take care of those who help you especially when you’re starting out because nine times out of ten you’re not paying anyone, so give them a reason to say yes when you ask your actor to climb in a swamp monster costume on that 90 degree day.

An interesting fact about yourself that people may not know.

I love cats, and I have a lot of them. One for each member in my immediate family in fact so those of you who know me can do the math.

Thank you for sharing your passion with us, Cameron!

If you want to check out the Doritos commercial, link is at the bottom!

https://crashthesuperbowl.doritos.com/video/1171

Brooke is a junior Communications major with an Arts Administration minor. She has a concentration in journalism and a strong interest in PR. Brooke's everyday life consists of trying to make other people feel good, drooling over One Direction, and making Harry Potter references.
Songwriter. Lover of music, food, and man buns.