5 Tips to Keep Your Day-Drinking Festivities Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

It’s about that time of year. The snow and ice have melted, and the grass, though I have forgotten what it looked like, has made itself visible once again. With this sudden change in seasons, comes an exciting extra-curricular activity that most college students everywhere LIVE for. That’s right, I’m talking about day-drinking.

Credit John Haley

But what makes this activity exciting and anticipated? Is it the fact that you can work on your tan while also throwing a few back? Maybe it’s the fact that you love Kan Jam and you’re so much better at it when your inhibitions are down. Or maybe it’s the mere fact that it’s the middle of the day, the sun is shining, and it seems totally absurd to be having drinks at this hour.

Credit Google Images: Le Moyne Dolphy Day

Whatever your reasons may be, it’s no secret that day-drinking is popular on college campuses. However, day-drinking can be dangerous if you’re not smart about it. Here are 5 easy tips to make your day of drinking a fun one.

(Dolphy Day is upon us, so to all of you who plan on participating, this is for you!)

1.       It’s a Marathon, Not a Sprint
Maybe it’s the runner in me talking, but we all know that pacing yourself is the key to victory. No one wants to be the person passed out by noon. Take it from a lightweight, for every two drinks you consume, have one bottle of water. The alcohol will dehydrate you anyway, so a little water throughout the day will only help. This may make you a frequent bathroom user, but it will balance out the alcohol in your system.

2.       Pick the Shade
It’s no secret that sitting in the sun while drinking only enhances your buzz. While this may seem promising to some people, it’s also dangerous. It can lead to heat exhaustion if you’re not careful. I’m not saying you have to sit by yourself in the shade while everyone else is having fun in the sun. However, try to balance your time between the two so you don’t get sick. 

3.       Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day
Arguably, the most important tip to any day is eating your recommended breakfast in the morning. Therefore, a day of drinking is no exception to the rule. Having food in your stomach is a crucial step before you drink. Le Moyne freshmen, beware: don’t skip breakfast on Dolphy Day. Sure the cafeteria is transformed into a drunken slop-fest, but don’t let that stop you from getting a little nourishment. You don’t want to be the one sent away in an ambulance all because you forgot a bagel.

4.       Beer Before Liquor, Never Been Sicker
Everyone has their own opinions about the accuracy of this tip. However, from what I’ve seen, I stand by this mantra. It’s okay to have a shot or two before going outside for the day. However, if you are planning on drinking beer, stick to beer. Don’t switch back and forth. If you’re going to have liquor all day, by all means do so. But don’t throw a beer into the mix unless you’re planning on only having beer for the rest of the day. Liquor before beer, you’re in the clear.

5.       Don’t Load up On Caffeine the Next Day
Contrary to popular belief, coffee won’t help the hangover that you’ll most likely have the next day. Instead, reach for orange juice and some eggs. The orange juice will re-hydrate you while simultaneously pumping you with vitamin C. If you’re like me and tend to get run-down after drinking, orange juice will greatly help you. Also, the cysteine in eggs will help reduce the alcohol metobolite toxin in your body. And yes, you can take ibuprofen before bed to help subside your impending headache the next morning.

Sources:

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/hangovers/a/cures.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Moyne_College#Dolphy_Day
*Dolphy Day: This event dates back to 1971. Each year, the actual date of the event is kept a secret until the last possible moment, heightening the excitement. Dolphy Day began as a time to skip classes and relax outside on the first beautiful Spring day, listening to the music of jazz great Eric Dolphy Although Le Moyne’s mascot is a dolphin, campus officials say there is no direct relation between the name of this event and this college icon.
Dolphy Day quickly became a symbol of carefree, college fun, a time to be with friends outdoors after a long winter. A key part of the ritual is the fact that, each year, a “Wizard” is chosen (by the preceding Wizard).This person must be a senior; his or her identity remains a secret until the actual event begins. The Wizard works both with Le Moyne’s administration and fellow seniors to orchestrate an enjoyable, memorable event. While the administration seeks to diminish the association with alcohol, this association remains.
The event begins at about 2am or 3am, often involving fireworks, as the campus quad fills with students. What students will tell you is that it is a day of drunken debauchery not to be missed. Dolphy Day arrives to the Le Moyne Dolphins with the same excitement as Christmas morning.