11 Things To Do in Syracuse!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

If you’re not a Syracuse area or CNY local, let’s face it, this city can feel less than exciting. Coming from NYC, you could imagine my disenchantment with the surrounding area. Granted there was a local Chipotle to keep me sane, and I had never seen a mall like Destiny before, but even that got old after a while. My freshman year was spent complaining to my friends and family about how bored I was and how there was “NOTHING” to do. My mom typically reminded me “You’re not up there for fun, you’re there for school”, but she couldn’t expect me to stay on campus for four years right?

Sophomore year began and still, my attitude toward Syracuse was blah, yawn, ect. But over winter break, something really cool happened! My friend and I walked into our local Journeys (window shopping, duh) and were greeted by an excited employee. He chatted us up and before you know it, he asked what college I went to. I told him I went to Le Moyne, expecting him to say the usual, “Oh, never heard of it, but that’s cool.” Instead I got, “Oh wow! I know Le Moyne, I’m from Utica. I know that whole area”. I asked what he was doing here and he told me he moved for a job, quit that job, and was now working happily at Journeys. From what I can remember, he asked how I liked it up there and I told him how I felt, not expecting the surprised look on his face.

Journey’s Guy:  Have you been to _____ ?

Me: No

Journey’s Guy: Oh, well have you been to ______?

Me: No..

Journey’s Guy: What? Seriously? Ok, please tell me you’ve been to _______?!

Me: *silence* *Embarrassed look* No..I don’t have a car man!

Journey’s Guy: Ok, that’s it. I’m making a list.                                                                 

and so he did!  

#1: An SU game!

• I love basketball so naturally, I was excited about this. I’ve been meaning to go to a game!

#2: Strong Heart’s Cafe

• I’m obsessed with Yelp so I already heard about this Syracuse gem. Journey’s guy isn’t vegan, but he swore by this place!

#3: Alto Cinco & Recess

• I explained to him that during my freshman year, I ordered Alto Cinco way too much. But apparently it’s not the same as physically being in the restaurant and experiencing the food.

#4: MOST

• I never understood why in tv and movies kids were always so bored at museums. I love museums!

#5: Empire Brew

• Their Yelp page is such a tease. WARNING: DO NOT LOOK WHILE HUNGRY.

#6: SYR Crunch game

• Journey’s guy was super excited when he wrote this down.

#7: Clinton St. Ice Skating

• See that little check mark? Ice skating was the first thing that I did on the list!

#8: Apple Picking

• Sure, why not!

#9: Lights on the Lake

• From what I’ve heard, this will be awesome!

#10: Heid’s in Liverpool

• I aspire in many ways to be Adam Richman from Man vs. Food, and on his show he went to Heid’s. So I’m gonna go to Heid’s.

#11: Dinosaur BBQ

• Last, but not least, Dinosaur BBQ. This place is a must, Journey’s guy didn’t have to tell me that!

So extremely long story short, Syracuse isn’t as bleak as seems. There are hidden gems in every city, and half the fun is discovering them! Shout out to Journey’s guy for writing this awesome list, I’ll have to track him down the next time I’m home. Now get off your laptop and make plans to hit up one of these cool places!

Songwriter. Lover of music, food, and man buns.
Asiana Smith is a Communications Major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Sociology.