10 Underrated Horror/ Thriller Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

It’s that time of year again. October marks the official official start of fall. Hair colors, makeup palettes, and wardrobe gradients tend to darken, but so does our taste in films. Something about the October air brings out most people’s inner horror junkie, while others just like a good film that leaves them on the edge of our seats. Grab some friends and check out these 10 underrated thrillers this Halloween season.

1. Mr. Brooks (2007)

This first film is a thriller that you’re sure to love. Kevin Costner portrays man of the year Earl Brooks, business tycoon by day, serial killer by night. Mr. Brooks is sure keep you on the edge of your seat. Oh yeah! Dane Cook may or may not have a role as well.

2. Dead End (2004)

Dead End is an unconventional thriller. Set on Christmas Eve, a family is traveling to visit relatives, but finds themselves stranded in the woods after taking a detour. This movie’s twists and turns will keep you watching until the very end.

3. The Blair Witch Project (1999)

With the sequel currently in theaters, relive the thrill of the first found-footage-style film that freaked out millions. The original Blair Witch Project is a captivating horror film in its own right. Although it’s not the scariest thing ever, it’s still a pretty creepy film.

4. The Uninvited (2009)

The Uninvited follows a young woman home after release from a mental hospital. She returns home to her sister, her father, and her father’s fiance who had been her now deceased mother’s nurse. A series of events happens that could have Anna relapse and end up back in the hospital.

5. The Happening (2008)

This apocolyptical thriller takes will keep you on the edge of your seat. It follows a teacher (Mark Wahlberg), his wife (Zooey Deschanel), and their friend’s daughter trying to escape a plague that makes people disoriented and eventually commit suicide. They’re unsure what is causing these events or if they’ll even survive until the end.

6. The Fourth Kind (2009)

Do  you believe in aliens? The Fourth Kind mixes archival footage with dramatic reenactments of events in Nome, Alaska; a place where many people have gone missing. This movie might convince you that there are things that we can’t explain out there.

*not recommended to watch alone*

7. 28 Weeks Later (2007)

This movie picks up where 28 Days Later left off. If you thought the infection was over, you were wrong.

8. 30 Days of Night (2007)

This is another movie that will make you never want to visit Alaska. Remember Twilight? Imagine that only completely in the dark; dead of winter in Alaska; nobody is in love with the vampire, and nearly everyone dies… so basically, it’s nothing like Twilight.

9. Triangle (2009)

Triangle is a mystery thriller that will leave you guessing until the end. It’s like a puzzle that can’t ever be fully put together. You may also low key fear getting sucked into the Bermuda Triangle.

10. The Grudge 2 (2006)

Take a trip back to “the most haunted house in all of Japan” where the grudge possesses the house and anyone who enters.

*Watch the first one if you haven’t, but not completely necessary to understand the second one*

(All gifs courtesy of Giphy.com)

A tattoo loving, social media addict with a slight coffee addiction. Stay caffeinated.
Inez Timberger is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for HC Le Moyne! She is studying Communications with a strong focus in film and TV. Inez's life consists of everything pop culture and Netflix. She is also a part of LCTV, a student run TV news program, and Le Moyne Makes Movies. Inez enjoys fashion, makeup and healthy stuff.