Tammy Tran ’14: Bridging the Intergenerational Gap One Manicure at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lawrence chapter.

Describing Tammy Tran ’14 as an accomplished Lawrentian would be a grave understatement. She started a GlamourGals chapter at Lawrence just at the end of last term. What is GlamourGals you ask? Well, it’s an amazing national organization that provides young people with the opportunity to bond with elderly women in their communities. We often think of Lawrence with the “bubble” metaphor because we become so consumed in the daily grind that we forget about the importance of giving back to the community we inhabit for nine months out of the year. We sat down with Tammy to really understand what her passion is all about.

Her Campus™ Lawrence: How long has GlamourGals been around for?
Tammy: The national organization, The GlamourGals Foundation, has been around since 2001. The Lawrence University GlamourGals chapter was recognized by LUCC at the end of last term. So far, we’ve volunteered at Brewster Village Senior Home 2 times and have a bunch more “makeovers” at the home lined up for this term.

HC LU: Can you tell us some more about the GlamourGals Foundation?
Tammy: 
Yes! The GlamourGals Foundation was established in 2001 by Rachel Doyle. She was 17 at the time and went with 2 friends to a local senior home to give the women makeovers. Since then, she has grown GlamourGals to be a national NGO and serves as the CEO/President. GlamourGals has chapters in high schools and colleges around the country and also has some international chapters. 

Mission statement: GlamourGals is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to inspire and organize teens to provide ongoing complimentary beauty makeovers and companionship to elderly women living in senior homes.

HC LU: How often do you makeover the elderly?
Tammy: 
We volunteer at Brewster Village senior home 3-4 times a month. We usually go in groups of 10-14 volunteers for 1-2 hours.

HC LU: Where do you see the organization in 1,2 or 5 years?
Tammy: 
We want to get a diverse range of students involved with GlamouurGals. I think GlamourGals is about something so universal–being a compassionate person. You dont have to be a girl, good at makeovers/manicures, or anythign specific to be a GlamourGals volunteer. Our visits to the senior home are less about the makeovers, and more about making the conversations we have with these women.

To do this, we’ve been open to bringing students from different student organizations to the senior home. Next month, the Lawrence swim team will be volunteering, as will Kappa Kappa Gamma. By getting different student groups to connect on something so basic and universal–volunteerism–we can build a more compassionate and caring campus community.

(Pictured: Fanny Lau, Diana Szteinberg, Vicky Jhong Chung)

When asked to share any final thoughts on her organization, Tammy said “GlamourGals is more about the conversations shared between the volunteer and elderly women we serve.That hour we spend with at the home can mean the world to those we serve. I think that goes to show the value of following through with acts of kindness. It’s a really beautiful thing to be able to touch someone else’s life and make it known that they are beautiful and that they really do matter.”

Any interested volunteers are encourage to contact our Campus Celeb and GlamourGals President Tammy Tran (tammy.tran@lawrence.edu) or Vice President Vicky Jhong Chung (victoria.y.jgongchung@lawrence.edu)!

Ariella Morik is a senior at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin studying English and Film Studies. She has served as Vice-President of Her Campus™ Lawrence for the past year and is excited to take the position of Campus Correspondent. She is an active student within her academic department and is Vice President of Programming and Social Events of the Alpha Zeta chapter of Delta Gamma. After graduation, she plans to pursue a law degree or a masters in creative writing. When she's not busy with her academic and co-curricular engagements, she finds time to run outdoors and spend time with her friends.