President Jill Beck’s Legacy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lawrence chapter.

In a heartfelt message to the student body, Lawrence University’s 15th president, Jill Beck, announced her intention to retire effective June 2013. The renovations of residence halls Coleman, Trever, Plantz, improvements with Career Services and the Buchanan Kiewit Wellness Center are just a few of the many accomplishments Jill Beck has spearheaded during her tenure at Lawrence.  As a senior intending to graduate June 2012, I remember my first few days as a wandering freshman on campus. My friends and I ate religiously at Downer Commons and we quickly learned the phrase used to describe sitting for an inordinate amount of time known as “the downer sit.” As a wide-eyed eighteen year old, I would have never envisioned the campus to look and function as efficiently as it does today.

In the next 17 months President Beck will focus her energies on renovating the former Downer Commons to be the new home of the growing Film Studies Department, Admissions, Career Services, and Alumni and Constituency Engagement. She noted that she too has a plan for life after Lawrence and is looking forward to spending time in France with her husband, Rob.

We are so grateful for all that President Beck has done and will continue to do for the Lawrence community and our constant effort to strive for a higher quality of learning.

Ariella Morik is a senior at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin studying English and Film Studies. She has served as Vice-President of Her Campus™ Lawrence for the past year and is excited to take the position of Campus Correspondent. She is an active student within her academic department and is Vice President of Programming and Social Events of the Alpha Zeta chapter of Delta Gamma. After graduation, she plans to pursue a law degree or a masters in creative writing. When she's not busy with her academic and co-curricular engagements, she finds time to run outdoors and spend time with her friends.