This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lawrence chapter.

It may not be winter yet, but the frost on the ground means it’s fast approaching! Wisconsin winters are enough to force any girl into hibernation. Freshmen, please note: campus only looks like a ghost town second term because everyone is actually hiding in the dorms. Make the most of being stuck inside by taking some time for yourself. With these everyday items turned beauty basics, you can transform your room into your own personal spa. So stock up on these now before the below-freezing temperatures and first snowfall catch you by surprise! (Bonus: You can get most of these at Kate’s Corner Store.)

Shopping List:

1. White Sugar
  2. Bananas
  3. Honey
  4. Lemon
  5. Avocado
  6. Olive Oil
  7. Brown Sugar
  8. Milk
  9. Vaseline

#1 Beauty Basic: Lemon

It’s almost tenth week. And you know what that means–we could all use a pick me up. With their fresh citrusy smell, consider lemons the perfect solution. Plus, they’ll make a great addition to your repertoire of beauty secrets. 

Right now, everyone loves wearing dark nail colors. Black deep reds and purples are everywhere. While they may look absolutely gorgeous on, they can certainly take a toll on your nails. If your nails are starting to look discolored, just rub a lemon half over them. The citric acid in the juice will naturally lighten them right back up.

You can also use a cut lemon for rough elbows and knees to smooth our your skin. Citric acid is not only great for lightening up dark spots; it’s also great for softening rough areas. (If you do this, just make sure you slather on lotion afterwards!)

And finally, pop some lemon slices into your water and drink up! Because smart girls know that there is no substitute for drinking plenty of water when it comes to looking and feeling your best!

#2 Beauty Basic: Vaseline

Vaseline is the miracle worker of low-budget beauty essentials. (And yes, you can get your mind out of the gutter now). Use it to soften cracked heels or nourish parched nails and cuticles. It can also be used as a gentle, but extremely effective eye makeup remover. A small amount on eyelids over eye shadow or by itself makes for a great eye gloss too!

And for an extra treat? Mix petroleum jelly and raw sugar for an easy lip scrub.

#3 Beauty Basic: Sugar

Ok, so sugar might not be something you regularly keep in your room. But it should be! Sugar may be a dieter’s nightmare, but it can do wonders for your skin. This time of year, skin is prone to getting super dull and ashy. Solution? Use a sugar scrub. Sugar is a great alternative to salt because it is so much gentler, especially for sensitive faces.

Try this simple face scrub: Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar with 3 tablespoons of water. Once the sugar melts, apply to your face and rinse. Your face will be glowing in no time at all! You can also mix brown sugar with milk for a great moisturizing all over body-exfoliator. Perfect for the winter season rapidly approaching.   

#4 Beauty Basic: Avocado

By now, everyone knows that avocados are a super food. They’re filling and stocked full of essential nutrients. In other words, they are the perfect anytime snack, so you should be stocking up on these anyway. But if that wasn’t motivation enough, all of those essential nutrients that make avocados so good for our health also make them good for our skin and hair. They are revered for their moisturizing and conditioning properties.

If you have dry irritated skin, try this soothing facemask: Mash up half of an avocado with ¼ cup of honey. Apply liberally and leave on for ten minutes before rinsing off with a warm washcloth.

You can also combat dry hair with this hair mask: Mix 1 avocado with 1 ripe banana and a tablespoon of olive oil. Leave on hair for 15 minutes and rinse. (If you don’t have 15 minutes to spare, just put olive oil on your ends for a quick fix.)

Photo Credit:
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lemon.jpg
2
http://www.drugstore.com/vaseline-petroleum-jelly/qxp13346
3. http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/2009/january/remedy2.html
4
http://recipes.terra-organics.com/2010/12/avocado/

Ariella Morik is a senior at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin studying English and Film Studies. She has served as Vice-President of Her Campus™ Lawrence for the past year and is excited to take the position of Campus Correspondent. She is an active student within her academic department and is Vice President of Programming and Social Events of the Alpha Zeta chapter of Delta Gamma. After graduation, she plans to pursue a law degree or a masters in creative writing. When she's not busy with her academic and co-curricular engagements, she finds time to run outdoors and spend time with her friends.