October: Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lawrence chapter.

It’s October and that means it’s time to think pink. This month, National Breast Cancer Awareness month celebrates its 25th anniversary.  Even the White House is lit up in pink to show support. Maybe Appleton, WI is a far cry from Washington D.C., but that doesn’t mean you can’t get involved too. This month it’s easy to help out the cause and do something good for yourself at the same time.

Here are some easy things you can do to get in the spirit and be a part of Pink Awareness Month:

1. The Appleton Fire Department will be wearing pink all month. And for $10, you can purchase a t-shirt of your own. All proceeds will benefit Breast Cancer research. (Bonus: These shirts are only available at the fire station, so it looks like you’ll just have to go there yourself and ask one of those men in uniform for help.)
  2. Ghiradelli is offering Intense Dark Chocolate Pink Ribbon Packages for a limited time. They’re $3 a bar and for every bar sold $1 will be donated to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Mid-terms are coming up quick, so go ahead and stock up.
  3. You know those wonderful little Emergen-C packs that get you through cold and flu season? Well, Emergen-C now has Pink Packets. Proceeds from the packets will benefit the Keep a Breast Foundation. What a great way to promote overall wellness!
  4. And here’s an extra excuse to hit the mall ASAP: Francesca’s is offering 20% off all merchandise that is pink, red or coral until October 13th. You should also check out Forever 21 and their Love to Give, Give to Love campaign. 10% of the purchase price of all items marked with the heart logo will be donated to Susan G. Komen for the Cure up until September 2012. (As if you needed another excuse.)

Photo Credit:
http://www.deltaphilambda.org/newsletter/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/oct-breast-cancer-awareness-month1.jpg

Ariella Morik is a senior at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin studying English and Film Studies. She has served as Vice-President of Her Campus™ Lawrence for the past year and is excited to take the position of Campus Correspondent. She is an active student within her academic department and is Vice President of Programming and Social Events of the Alpha Zeta chapter of Delta Gamma. After graduation, she plans to pursue a law degree or a masters in creative writing. When she's not busy with her academic and co-curricular engagements, she finds time to run outdoors and spend time with her friends.