Celebrate Your Singledom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lawrence chapter.

So it’s that time of year again. Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day and all the single people are moaning over having to be reminded they are alone. But who says Valentine’s Day has to be a day of dread as a single lady? Instead of feeling self-pity on this day, here are a few activities that you can do to have fun and keep a positive outlook on yourself and your single status!

Treat Yourself to a Spa Day

Give yourself a facial, paint your nails, take a bubble bath, treat your hair to some natural treatments, do anything that will make your body and you feel better! Believe me, this will make you feel invigorated and fresh and having some time to relax by yourself will help you get some perspective and realize how awesome of a person you are, alone or with someone else.

Go Bowling with Friends

Bowling might be one of the most underrated activities out there, but it is a great stress reliever and something you and your friends can have a great time doing. Talk, goof around, eat some pizza, and make fun of each other’s bowling skills. This will give you some much-needed girl time.

Watch a Comedy

Instead of watching a chick-flick or romance movie, which if you are dwelling on your single-status will drive you crazy, watch a comedy. Watch something that will make you laugh out loud and make you forget about all the drama in your life for a bit.

Do a Fun Work Out

Something like Zumba, or just working out with some girl friends, will give you a good workout and enable you to have some fun. Working out is an excellent way to get rid of stress and feel better about your body. If you have a huge workload or are sad about being single, take a break and do some cardio and enjoy!

Enjoy Some Wings at BWW

Since Valentine’s Day is on a Tuesday this year, Buffalo Wild Wings has a great special for 45-cent wings! They have several of different flavors of wings that will you make you drool just thinking about them. Stuffing your face with these cheap and delicious wings will make your stomach very happy!

Go on a Shopping Spree

If you enjoy shopping, as I do, take the time and go to the mall and do some retail therapy. Treat yourself to some cute new clothes and spend some money on yourself. I always feel better buying new clothes to spice up my wardrobe and give me some exciting days ahead to depute my new outfits.

Have a Girl’s Night Out

Call your friends and make plans to go out to a fancy dinner. Get dressed up and order decadent food and enjoy your friends’ company. Get caught up on each other’s lives and appreciate the fact that you have great friends in your life, which is the most important thing! Friends are forever!

Indulge in Shows and Movies with Your Favorite Eye-candy

Shows like True blood, the Vampire Diaries and movies with actors like Johnny Depp or Ryan Gosling, exhibit beautiful men (many times with their shirts off) that will make you melt. Get caught up in the sexiness of these men and you won’t even worry about the men in your life who aren’t worth it.

Read a Great Book

Sit down with a blanket and some sweat pants and curl up on the couch and get lost in a great book. Books can help you get out of your head and put yourself in another world. Such books as The Hunger Games will entrance you and keep you reading for hours on end. I found myself reading this particular series in only a week, and since it comes from a young woman’s perspective, this series is great for all collegiettes!

Organize a sports game with friends

If you are into sports, plan a sporting event with your friends. Not only will you have lots of fun while playing the sport, but you will get in a great workout as well. Sports are a great way to get rid of stress and get rid of some pent up aggression. Sports are a great way to have some fun with friends and exercise!

These are just a few ideas that can make your Valentine’s Day as a single, independent free spirit all the more enjoyable. Just remember that Valentine’s Day is simply a day. Don’t get caught up in all of the hype! Have confidence in yourself and remember that you do not need a guy to empower you.

Photo Credit:
Google Images

Ariella Morik is a senior at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin studying English and Film Studies. She has served as Vice-President of Her Campus™ Lawrence for the past year and is excited to take the position of Campus Correspondent. She is an active student within her academic department and is Vice President of Programming and Social Events of the Alpha Zeta chapter of Delta Gamma. After graduation, she plans to pursue a law degree or a masters in creative writing. When she's not busy with her academic and co-curricular engagements, she finds time to run outdoors and spend time with her friends.