3 Ways To Keep Your Brain Working During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lawrence chapter.

It’s always nice to take a study break during finals week at Lawrence – here are a few great items that keep your mind active (and relieve your guilty conscience!) while you relax:

1. Crossword Puzzles

The New York Times is free in all of the residence halls on campus, so take advantage of this by stealing the Arts & Entertainment page for the notoriously difficult crossword puzzles. Start with Monday’s puzzle, as it is the easiest, and challenge yourself to tackle a new one each day as they grow more and more difficult throughout the week. Hint: Try working on Thursday and Friday crosswords with friends!

2. Sudoku

If you happen to be more of a quantitative thinker, most of the other newspapers available on campus include a daily Sudoku puzzle. This 9×9 grid game, which was a common feature in French newspapers before mysteriously disappearing during World War I, has re-emerged as one of the most popular puzzles in America today.

3. Foreign Films

Studying for a foreign language final? Take a “study” break by watching one of your favorite movies in that language to both relax and review for your test. Many of these movies are available in the library, so check one out and turn on the subtitles during some downtime.

Ariella Morik is a senior at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin studying English and Film Studies. She has served as Vice-President of Her Campus™ Lawrence for the past year and is excited to take the position of Campus Correspondent. She is an active student within her academic department and is Vice President of Programming and Social Events of the Alpha Zeta chapter of Delta Gamma. After graduation, she plans to pursue a law degree or a masters in creative writing. When she's not busy with her academic and co-curricular engagements, she finds time to run outdoors and spend time with her friends.