You Know You Are Multilingual When…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Being multilingual has many perks, including furthering your knowledge and communicating well and making new friends while traveling. Being multilingual also comes with somewhat annoying quirks. Here are some perks and quirks that people who speak multiple languages can relate to:

1.You forget to switch between the languages

When I am with my friends who only talk English, I sometimes find myself blurting out some French words in the middle of the conversation.

2. You mix the languages

My sisters and I speak something called “Franglish” – it’s a mix of French and English. Some of the expressions are: Liker (to like), Tweeter (to tweet).

Or we make a sentence with the two languages like “Could you pass me le truc qui est devant toi?” (Could you pass me the thing that’s in front of you?). Spanish-speaking people have “Spanglish” and Korean-speaking people have Konglish.

3. You wish you could translate expressions

Sometimes you are in a situation where this wonderful expression would fit but it doesn’t exist in the language you are currently can’t translate or else it loses its meaning.

4. You realize you can’t speak any of the languages you are fluent in properly

This is something I’ve realized after moving back to Canada. I cannot speak any of the languages I’m fluent in properly. I make elementary mistakes in French and English.

5. You think in multiple languages

You start your though in one language and finish your thought in another. If you are like me and you think out loud you might have scared a few people.

6. Keyboard struggles

You have 3 or more different keyboards on your phone. Switching between them is the most annoying thing ever.

7. You have become the corrector of your group

Whether it’s when your friends try to speak one of the languages you speak or when you are watching a movie and the subtitles are inaccurate, you correct it all.

Those are the things that happen to me the most as a multilingual. I think many multilingual people can relate to them too.

Maeva Lago

Laurier Brantford '22

I am Maéva Lago-Dogo a Digital Media & Journalism major. I love K-pop, K-drama, traveling, Motorsports and spending a dangerous amount of time on Twitter and Netflix. Follow me on my Instagram @maeva_lagodogo.