This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Umbrella Academy is the latest Netflix original, based off a comic series of the same name. The story depicts a family of siblings with special abilities. It kicks off when the sibling’s adoptive father dies, they gather for the funeral and simultaneously discover family secrets and try to save the world from an imminent threat. I got hooked on the show as soon as I saw the first episode and I think everyone should watch it. Here is a list of why you should watch it.

Gerard Way

The comic series was created by Chemical Romance lead singer, Gerard Way, and I think that this alone is a reason why you should watch the show.

Not Your Usual Super Hero Story

This is not your usual story. It does not follow the usual action movie pattern and focuses more on other subjects other than the characters and how they use them. The story focuses more on the characters, their growth, their complicated family relationship. The fact that the story takes a new angle makes it more interesting to watch, it changes from the usual big blockbusters and Tv shows.

An amazing cast

The cast is powerful, they are all different but go together in a truly amazing way. Among the cast, we have Ellen Page who made her comeback with the role Vanya Hargreeves, Mary J. Blige as the killer Cha-Cha and Robert Sheehan as the flamboyant Klaus Hargreeves.

The soundtrack

The series features epic songs including Gerard Way and Ray Toro’s cover of Simon & Garfunkel’s Hazy Shade of Winter, some of my favorite songs featured on the show are Istanbul by They Might Be Giants and Run Boy Run by Woodkid. Sometimes when you are watching an episode you can’t help but dance along with the music.

I hope I was able to convince to watch The Umbrella Academy and hopefully you will enjoy watching it as much as I did!

Maeva Lago

Laurier Brantford '22

I am Maéva Lago-Dogo a Digital Media & Journalism major. I love K-pop, K-drama, traveling, Motorsports and spending a dangerous amount of time on Twitter and Netflix. Follow me on my Instagram @maeva_lagodogo.
.