This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

After watching the Grammys last weekend, I was inspired to do a deep dive back into music. I am usually always listening to music – when I get ready, while I work, when I’m in the car – you get the picture. But as I have been surviving through online school, I have neglected this usual routine and haven’t been as up to date on new releases.

With spring on the horizon, I am ready for new music to form the soundtrack of sunny days. In spring cleaning fashion, I thought a return to my usual music habits would be a great opportunity to discover new music, dig through my past playlists, and share the results!

Here are some new releases I am loving for spring.

When You See Yourself – Kings of Leon

It’s been almost 5 years since Kings of Leon’s last album, WALLS, was released. After waiting in anticipation for half a decade, fans will be excited to listen to their latest release, When You See Yourself. Sonically, the album more closely resembles their 2010 and 2013 albums, Come Around Sundown and Mechanical Bull with slightly more moody and slow tempo songs. Standouts for me are “100,000 People,” “Stormy Weather,” and “When You See Yourself, Are You Far Away.”

Revelación – Selena Gomez

She’s finally done it! Selena Gomez has finally released a Spanish-language EP! A project that has essentially been in the works for 10 years or more, Gomez draws on her Hispanic roots for 19 minutes, across 7 tracks on Revelación. The music on this EP stays close to Gomez’s past upbeat, dance-pop style. “Selfish Love” is a current favourite, and showcases her voice in both Spanish and English. But admittedly, I have to say “Baila Conmigo” is still my favourite since its release as a single.

Future Nostalgia (The Moonlight Edition) – Dua Lipa

While Future Nostalgia originally came out on March 27 of 2020, English singer-songwriter Dua Lipa just introduced Future Nostalgia (The Moonlight Edition) in February, featuring 6 new songs! Expanding on the original, now Grammy-winning album, the new tracks have a similar dance-pop, disco feel and are led by “We’re Good,” the most recent single. I have found myself singing “That Kind Of Woman” ever since I first heard it and, of course, her duet with Miley Cyrus, “Prisoner.”

Beyond these new albums, there are tons of other songs I am loving right now. You can find all of them in my spring playlist, but here are a few of my current favourites.

You Were In My Dream Last Night by Babygirl – An amazingly dreamy, Canadian band.

My One by BEKA – If sparkly was a sound, this would be it!

Lost by Blake Rose – I am so obsessed with this; such a perfect song for car rides.

Sunflower (MUNA Remix) by Dizzy – I also recommend the original, but this one is like a party for your ears!

Bodies (feat. MUNA) by The Knocks – Trust me, you will be dancing as soon as this comes on.

Aren’t You by The Aces – My favourite bonus track from the oh-so catchy Under My Influence.

This Is How You Feel by Loote – I seriously thought this was Demi Lovato with such an amazing voice!

Thanks for reading about my current musical obsessions. I hope you find something new that you love, or rediscover an old favourite! Follow me on Spotify for more music recommendations, and always feel free to DM me on Instagram (@jonnicaahill) with your own favourites or suggestions. I am always open to new music. Happy listening!

Jonnica Hill

Laurier Brantford '21

Hey I'm Jonnica and I am passionate about writing, music, photography, fashion and so much more. I was a founding member of the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter, and over my three years with the team have been a writer, editor, marketing director and co-Campus Correspondent. Digital Media and Journalism, Class of 2021